Posts Tagged selfishness
So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory. Put to death, therefore, whatever in you is earthly: fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry). On account of these, the wrath of God is coming on those who are disobedient. These are the ways you also once followed when you were living that life. But now you must get rid of all such things—anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive language from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have stripped off the old self with its practices and have clothed yourselves with the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator. In that renewal, there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all! [NRSA]
You have been raised with Christ,
- Seek the things that are above.
- Set your minds on things that are above,
When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory.
Put to death what in you is earthly:
- lustful passion,
- evil desire, and
WARNING: wrath of God is coming on those who are disobedient.
These are the ways you also once followed when you were living that life.
BUT HOW? WHERE TO START?
But now you must:
- get rid of all such things—
- slander, and
- abusive language from your mouth.
- Do not lie to one another,
- Stripped off the old self with its practices,
- clothed yourselves with the new self,
- being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator.
In that renewal, there is no longer divided as the World divides, rather be UNITED IN CHRIST.
WHAT DOES UNITED IN CHRIST MEAN?
- Personal Behaviors and Attitudes
- the opposite of the world’s view of promiscuity – Fidelity, and Trust
- the opposite of me first, or myself above God – Faith and Worship
- the opposite of seeing people as objects for our happiness and power, all created by and for God
- the opposite of evil – God’s Love and Law
- the opposite of greed and idolatry Peace, Joy, Wholeness in God
Things to Deal with, throw away or get away from:
anger. No matter what people do we can’t HATE any away. wrath, Using our influence and resources for selfishness. malice, Intentional Harm (The Qualification of Do no INTENTIONAL harm) slander, Not repaying evil words and thoughts for evil words and thoughts. (Deal with Racism by yielding power not correctness) abusive languagefrom your mouth.
not lieto one another, Some times the truth is unfair, unpopular and even unclear, but lying to make some feel better or ourselves escape or protected cuts at the bonds of fidelity, trust, love, grace, etc.
We have one life to figure our future
- You and I have this life to determine if we will starve in the wilderness or eat God’s manna and trust God to make a way when our ways are dead ends.
- You and I have the breath of this one life, no matter where we have come from, to decide if God’s home is where we want to live.
- You and I have the free will and choice to choose God’s or to choose to rely on ourselves or others to make a way we believe is better. The consequences of choosing the other ways, than God’s way, all end with us being alone and apart from God.
- The Word to the Colossians and to us: We continually make the choice with our thoughts and actions to Trust God or ourselves.
While choosing God’s way, God’s heart, God’s love is simple to start. We have a daily choice of staying in that Grace of choosing another path. God never forces us to choose him not to stay with him.
Go back to the list:
Am I happy, content and whole:
- Because I have money and things enough for eternity? Sincere there is not eternity in my view, I want it all now.
- I’m just doing the best I can and I’m hoping for God to cut me some slack when the final exam comes, or will I recognize the need to call his name when trouble comes?
- I’d rather people all cooperate and get along and stay together even if I have to re-frame what God expects of us.
Why Make it So Hard
We make it hard on ourselves and one another. Jesus offers himself to us daily, the bread of life and the cup of salvation. Eat and Drink from the life that is eternal. Forget the slavery that goes with the fleshpots in back in captivity of some other allegiance.
Prayer: Jesus come into my heart and life right now and make me whole, make me yours, take my whole self- broken, confused and alone, fill me with our love and grace. Set my feet and my heart on you and the things of your kingdom. Have mercy on me, a waster of life and gifts and treasures and make me your own again today. Keep me in your will and change my heart, mind, and soul. Make my life a witness that leads someone else to your heart. Thank you! Praise you. Amen and Amen.