Posts Tagged practicing
Now who will harm you if you are eager to do what is good? But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear, and do not be intimidated, but in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence. Keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who abuse you for your good conduct in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if suffering should be God’s will, than to suffer for doing evil. For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, in order to bring you to God. He was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit, in which also he went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison, who in former times did not obey, when God waited patiently in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. And baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you—not as a removal of dirt from the body, but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers made subject to him. [NRSV]
Suffering: Physical Suffering for a Spiritual Purpose: The Lenten Season
Jesus’ prime example is suffering death on the cross, exchanging his life for our life.
Peter’s instructions DON’T LIST
- Don’t give up, even when tempted, tested and tired
- Don’t be afraid, even though there are things, powers and people to fear
DO BE DO BE DO…
- Do have patience in suffering for Christ
- Be ready to explain your hope
- Do so with kindness
- Keep your conscience clear
- Don’t give in to what broken world dishes out
- Remember Jesus has already suffered for you.
- Return the example, as a RESPONSE to LOVE not a duty.
- SUMMARY OF THE GOSPEL 1PT 3:18 For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, in order to bring you to God. He was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit,
CITIZENSHIP: THEREFORE: Live like you are a baptized person..
- live like your saved
- live like God’s Spirit is in you…
- live like Jesus and all power, authority, angels and powers are at your disposal through Christ.
We begin a holy Lenten season of practicing..
We are Baptized, (Claimed, Saved, Empowered and Loved Children of God) Who we are,
We are encouraged by (Suffering in Faithfulness) what God has done through Jesus
The Lenten Test
- If you were a extravagantly generous wealthy person: How would you treat other people
- If you were a passionate lover of God: How would you express your devotion?
- If you were a radical host and friend: How would you welcome a stranger?
- If you were risk-taking servant: How far would you go to help someone who is hurting?
- If you were purposeful and intentional about growing your Spiritual self, What exercises would you do?
If you let yourself off the hook and say none of these are for me, this is the season to pick just one and practice.
Practice trusting Jesus.
Practice telling about our hope in the life Jesus promises.
Practice singing about the Good News that God continues to love us
Practice giving like God’s heart is your heart.
Practice looking at strangers as new best friends
Practice looking at suffering in the world is a place for you to personally plug in and be involved making one-on-one change
Practice your faith OUT LOUD, not just in your mind and not just with your friends and family.
PRACTICE giving power and grace to those who don’t deserve another chance.
is forty days plus Sundays between this past Wednesday and Easter for us to begin practicing what it means to be Easter people, BECAUSE the truth is we are not there yet.
We begin this journey acknowledging this is a journey
- it is not easy
- it is not quick
- it is not over
- it is not fair
- it is vitialy important and
- it is worth the time and faith to try…