Posts Tagged #jesusonmymind
At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered, “I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.” [NRSV]
The Festival of the Dedication
A Jewish Feast of Lights celebrating a time between the Old and New Testament to the Maccabean Revolt when the temple was reclaim and rededicated after the Jews were forced to give up the temple and the practicing of their faith.
This celebration is better known as Hanukkah. When the temple was reclaimed only one small jar of oil could be found to light the temple lights. The jar was enough oil to burn the lights for one day, yet the oil burned for eight days.
It is at this celebration of reclaiming the temple worship, the miracle of lights, and a restoring of the faith by the Jews that Jesus makes the claim that leads him to the cross.
John 10:30 The Father and I are One.
There it is: Jesus said it as plainly as at any other point in the Gospels.
- The I Am that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob called father.
- I am that father. I am, I Am with you.
- The I Am the Moses saw in the burning bush and the cloud guided them in the wilderness.
- The Spirit that moved over the face of the earth at creation, I was the one working that day.
- I’m the Light of the World.
So During the Festival of Lights, Jesus, the Light of the World, is Revealed.
- How are we willing to shine the light of Christ on the darkness in the world?
- When are we willing to enlighten others that we filter life through our faith
- Can you see yourself, filled with the ‘oil’ or fuel of the Holy Spirit to be a vessel for Christ?
Live as one connected to God.
- They might take my body, but not my spirit
- They might take my things, but not my identity
- They might take my position, but not my self-worth
- They might take my health, but not my eternal life
- They might take my reputation, yet God will never let go.
Why Wouldn’t we trust/reveal our Christ connection?
There are those people and things that grab at our connection.
Driving through a neighborhood, my phone wifi trying to logon to just any signal it can find. When my setting is to grab onto anything, even in the name of saving some money, I am putting myself at risk.
- Im not as pretty
- I’m not as wealthy
- I’m not as popular
- I’m not as happy
- I’m not as worthy
- I’m not as important
- I’m alone
- I’m not appreciated
- I’m not included
- I’m lost and forgotten
- I don’t have time
- I don’t have enough
- I’m not ready
Every time we listen to theise voice we pry away at God’s grip on our hearts. God will not let go, unless we ask him to let us go our own way.
How to I/Someone find the way back to God?
Ray Charles sings about it in our state theme song, Georgia on my Mind.
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you”
No peace I find
Just an old sweet song
Keeps [Jesus] on my mind