Posts Tagged clothedbychrist
Now before faith came, we were imprisoned and guarded under the law until faith would be revealed. Therefore, the law was our disciplinarian until Christ came, so that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer subject to a disciplinarian, for, in Christ Jesus, you are all children of God through faith. As many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to the promise. [NRSV]
Who knew Gene Roddenberry was as a fan of Galatians?
The Star Trek cultural iconic uniforms that allow for individuals to be known for their role in the community by the color of their uniform not matter their origin, citizenship, nor gender.
What if the clothes Christ places on us, rather than the garments and cultural markers we self-define one another?
- What if those who wore blue were known as healers.
- Teachers, Grower and Designers in Green
- Administrators and Safety persons in Golden Rod
- Builders, Helpers, Support persons in Red
- Orange for those who Harvest and celebrate
- White for those who are wisdom and faith-sharers
- Black for those who comfort and counsel
Known by the clothes of Christ.
- Some would work to discover what Jesus wore and tried to replicate first-century apparel. but that would miss the mark of the text.
- Some would be looking at the blended areas of overlap where roles cross in different situations and contexts.
- Some would not like the color assigned and protest
But think for a moment, what if we wore the gifts, graces, ministries and presence of Christ as we wear our clothes.
It surprises me that the first question that people ask about ‘my/our’ church is about our dress code. Not that we have a formal dress code, most folks would want folks to be ‘in’ the fellowship with us no matter what close they might wear.
But we follow that with a few qualifications, even if we don’t say them aloud:
You don’t have to wear a coat and tie or dress, just be clean and neat.
We live in a time when folks have extremes about clothes, fashion is a billion dollar industry for nearly every price point of our society.
We also have a culture that would rather buy or receive something new than wash and care for the clothes we have. How does this culture connect with our being clothed by Christ.
One Time Use for Christ
- We wear difference clothes for different occasions.
- Jesus Clothes us for eternity.
- We wear something for a season
- Jesus Clothes us for eternity
- We wear something until we wear it out or outgrow it or tired of it.
- Jesus Clothes us for eternity
- We wear something so people will respond to us in a certain way.
- Jesus Clothes us for God’s Work
- We wear something to wear to work
- Jesus empties himself and wants to work through us
- We judge and value by what we wear
- Jesus loves who we are with nothing to show
Walter Wangeren Jr’s Rag Man short story invites us to allow Christ to clothe and mark us for service.
People will misuse this passage from Galatians to say that whatever group society might divide and define us is acceptable, but a closer listen to the whole message of Paul’s letter and his message about Christ defining us.
Look in the Jesus Mirror: Who does Jesus See “in Me?”
Does Jesus see me as Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male or female, tall or short, etc. Jesus sees me as I am, and no matter how the world defines me, Jesus sees me as:
- Worthy of his life
- Worthy of his grace
- Worthy of his ministry
- Worthy of his service
- Worthy of his praise
- Worthy of his devotion
The things that we use to limit and divide, Jesus knows, Jesus is not blind, but Jesus sees in us far more than we might see in ourselves.
Paul’s invitation is to see each other as Christ see us
- see each other as Christ sees
- see the value Christ sees in us
- love the persons Christ sees in us and in one another.