Posts Tagged 5000
13 Now when Jesus heard this, he withdrew from there in a boat to a deserted place by himself. But when the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from the towns. 14 When he went ashore, he saw a great crowd; and he had compassion for them and cured their sick. 15 When it was evening, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a deserted place, and the hour is now late; send the crowds away so that they may go into the villages and buy food for themselves.” 16 Jesus said to them, “They need not go away; you give them something to eat.” 17 They replied, “We have nothing here but five loaves and two fish.” 18 And he said, “Bring them here to me.” 19 Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven, and blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. 20 And all ate and were filled; and they took up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve baskets full. 21 And those who ate were about five thousand men, besides women and children. NRSV
We have nothing but…
- Think of the opportunity for imagination for us to fill in that blank: _______________________
Looked up to heaven..
- Think of what prayers might be lifted up for the poor, hungry, naked, homeless, imprisoned, & you..
- When graduates finish their work to the satisfaction of the standards of their degree, the school and the authorizing board confers the degree to them. The student works hard, but it is someone else who names, sets them aside, names them, entrusts the title and its privileges..
- To be blessed is to have God empower, call, send, anoint, seal, affirm, claim,… you pick the word or title, but it is God blessing us to become a blessing to others.
- The Christian model is to share. Not always equally. The text said that all ate, until each were filled, different persons were in different states of hunger. ( The point is not what’s fair, it is that all is shared )
- There is a hands on, participation in ministry. It is not simply mental assent and contemplation.
- If you are not sure what you church is doing, then you may not be getting your hands dirty..
- I learned at age six, when my brother was born, we didn’t have disposable diapers, it was a messy task to change every diaper.. but I learned that no matter how dirty your hands get, you can always wash them..
- And, if you aren’t changing at least a few of the diapers, you are not doing your part for the family.
- Bottom line, Ministry is much more hands-on that we might want it to be..
- And sometimes the work is not so glamorous, but it is all necessary.
12 Baskets were left over…
- What might we do with our left overs…