Archive for category Sin
“You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, “You shall not murder’; and “whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, “You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire. So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift. Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are on the way to court with him, or your accuser may hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Truly I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.
“You have heard that it was said, “You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to go into hell.
“It was also said, “Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that anyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of unchastity, causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
“Again, you have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, “You shall not swear falsely, but carry out the vows you have made to the Lord.’ But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let your word be “Yes, Yes’ or “No, No’; anything more than this comes from the evil one. [NRSV]
Core Values of One Made New in Christ
Core Value Number 1 (Murder with Words)
How you communicate affects your relationships and your identity.
Sticks and Stones AND words can kill someone’s spirit, reputation and ability to be included into the community.
Word’s spoken in anger carry poisoned daggers that kill one’s spirit, identity, reputation and relationship to the community.
- “Well I only thought it, I didn’t do anything wrong”
- “What’s in my own head doesn’t hurt anyone.”
- “I was so angry at what I saw on FB I had to teach them a lesson, I didn’t kill anyone.”
Core Value Number 2 (Satisfying Self in a Covenant Relationship)
How we respect one another, affects both them and us.
Sexual sins occur first in the heart and head. Stop the sin there to avoid going further to lessen the effect on others. But best of all see that sin occurs before the action.
- Don’t be looking
- Don’t just love the one you are with
- Don’t invalidate the person by objectifying the person and justifying a behavior that is harmful to God, self AND the other person.
Our society has so twisted the self-satisfaction, self-pleasing and self-affirming our sexual selves has become paramount in movies, songs, and laws and even in the church.
Core Value Number 3 (Don’t Look at the Line, much less cross it)
Marriage is the basis for integrity and of the family unity.
Marriage is a covenant with God, while you can’t change your spouse you can add to their relationship with God or you can pull them away from God by your actions of both fidelity and by infidelity. Everything we do affects our spouse. Don’t get into a marriage covenant if you are not holding God the whole time because marriage is not always easy nor simple.
Core Value Number 4 (Integrity Speaks truth in love)
Speaking as a person of integrity.
Speak the truth.
Don’t dodge the difficult conversations, don’t blame anyone or anything. Speak with respect, certainly don’t add God’s name to your ideas, thoughts or excuses. The practice of taking an oath or swearing our testimony assumes that most of the time we are untruthful except on these special circumstances.
- “Don’t lie to me, we are in church.” But if we weren’t at church it might be alright to bend the truth, is the implied false assumption.
- “I’m not under oath” I don’t have to be completely truthful with you because we are not in court. The rules are flexible to benefit me, especially when I might be in the wrong.
- I said, “Yes, your honor, I believe I completely certain that No, I have no recollection of having said what you thought I said or did. That is my honest testimony”
Jesus said: The ten commandments were easy, I’m stepping up the game.
How will we ever measure up? Don’t be Discouraged:
Jesus model’s some real life issues that we twist:
Jesus said: you will need to out behavior the most devout religious leaders. Jesus said this knowing we also say/think things like:
- I want to be right
- Its what they do in the movies/tv, in songs, etc.
- I want there to be an absence of conflict, so it’s ok to keep quiet even if it is not true
- I want to be served and satisfied
- I want to be able to say/do whatever gets me out of this mess in the name of grace and love
- I don’t want accountability; I ask you to continue trusting me in grace.
- It’s my turn
The Remedy starts small:
Jesus begins with the small stuff.
- Start with how you treat the people that are around you every day.
- Be a truthful person of integrity
- Speak with strength, but know your words matter, speak truthfully.
- Speak with integrity
- Be one who respects boundaries
- Don’t objectify people
- Don’t forget marriage is about covenant and not being served
- If you are looking away from God, spouse or good, you are looking at what is evil, broken even in the name caring for ourselves.
- Speak with respect, boundaries, and integrity and you will be trusted, blessed and respected.
Don’t let your words kill someone’s spirit
Don’t objectify people in the name of pleasing yourself
Don’t believe you can buy your way out of sin
Don’t let your body kill your spirit.
Don’t think you are caring for your spirit by pleasing your body
Don’t believe your actions only harm yourself.
Don’t look for excuses, look for Christ.
Community Support: The Role of the Church
It is quick and easy for us to judge, blame and segregate ourselves in the name of protection or ideology.
- Help those who are blaming find Christ
- Help those who are destroying marriage to refocus on Christ/Covenant
- Help those who focus on pleasing themselves to see they sin and model loving them.
- Model speaking the truth instead of swimming in the ocean of blame, regret, fear, etc.
We are people of the New Life in Christ, Protect the heart of God within you and do not trade it for the world.
Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham. Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested. [NRSV]
Christ Came to for sinners like us.
One of the Core faith questions is: Why did Jesus have to die for our sins? If God created the world in the first place, why not just speak the word, MULIGUN or DO-OVER and “so be it!”?
How many backyard ball games have been remedied by the power of the “do over”?
The relationship God creates humanity for is one of mutual trust, respect, and love. When we trust our own will, when we disrespect God’s rules, and when we turn “love of God” into “love of self,” we give up the innocence, wholeness, and life. We have no more than our own life to offer, and if we give it up, then we have no relationship with God.
In the Garden of Eden, once sin broke the relationship, Adman and Eve were out of the God-relationship and had to work on their relationship with God rather than only enjoy a relationship with God.
In the Flood and Noah, God tries the do-over, but sin continues to show up as quick as the remedy cleans the way, sin returns and the same as before the cleansing.
God offers to keep the relationship for us, even if we break it, if we will trust God to provide, lead and love us. But the offer is short lived and God’s will is questioned and rejected.
In the “Shark Tank” deal, God offers 100% of the profits, gives 100% of the resources, for us to choose life instead of death, knowing we will throw the whole deal away again and again. To seal the deal: God gives us the life we cannot restore, at God’s full cost, because the one thing God desires most is that you be freed from death, freed from the power of sin and free to ‘be’ with God, all of us.
Still, we listen to voices of talking snakes, tempting devils, and convincing logic within our own minds and we throw the gift away.
For us, Sin: That which distances us from a relationship of trust and love with God and the People of God.
Traditional, the Cardinal Sins our favorite, go-to list that usually needs our attention:
- Wrath, and
Virtue: That which helps build a relationship of trust and love with God and the People of God.
- The Old Testament virtues are to Love God with all your
- mind and
- The New Testament virtues are
- Hope, and
We can spend all day a church, feed five hundred people and sing praises till the cows come home and with one little word, we fail God.
Look at the short list
- Pride, misplaced achievement
- Greed, the assumption that things and money are our peace and hope and joy.
- Lust, Self-gratification of power or the absence of love in our relationships, satisfying only the body or mind.
- Envy, Not being content or satisfied, but alway wanting.
- Gluttony, satisfying the body, thinking that daily bread will bring us wholeness.
- Wrath lost in Anger, anger is, at times a healthy response, but when anger seeks revenge and dominance we come to the dark side.
- Sloth. Apathy and Laziness, the waiting for what we deserve to be given to us.
The remedy and our salvation:
The Gospel Remain, Jesus Christ who dies for our sins and his resurrection for our eternal life.
Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested
- We come to communion as it is our reaffirming Christ’s life has been given for our life
- We come confession our sins and trusting God’s promise to save
- We come to the table to eat, not of gluttony, but of grace
- We come giving praise for God’s mighty acts and not our own
- We come because we see the wealth in a life of giving ourselves to God
- We trust God’s power is greater than our own.
- We come knowing that we are empty without God’s mercy
- We come knowing God would be justified in being angry with us, but instead God set’s a place for us at the table.
So come, You life is waiting at the table
- Gilligan’ s Island
pride, The Professor
- greed, Mr. Howell
- lust, Ginger
- envy, Mary Ann
- gluttony, Mrs. Howell
- wrath, The Skipper
- sloth, Gilligan
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- Lion Witch and Wardrobe: Gluttony
- Prince Caspian: Envy
- Dawn Treader: Greed
- Horse and His Boy: Lust
- Silver Chair: Sloth
- Magician’s Nephew: Anger
- Last Battle: Pride
- STAR WARS
- Pride, Luke
- Greed, Boba Fett
- Lust, Han Solo
- Envy, Obi Won Kenobi
- Gluttony, Jabba the Hut
- Wrath, Darth Vader
- Sloth. StormTroopers?
- Pride, professor Gilderoy Lockhart
- Greed, Dumbledore of knowledge
- Lust, Snape for power
- Envy, Wormtail
- Gluttony, Duddley Dursley
- Wrath, Voldemort
- Sloth. Horace Slug-Hornn
Show Time Series
- Gwen as Wrath.
- Bridgette as Sloth.
- Lindsay as Lust.
- Beth as Envy.
- Courtney as Pride.
- Izzy as Gluttony.
- Heather as Greed.
Hear what the LORD says: Rise, plead your case before the mountains, and let the hills hear your voice. Hear, you mountains, the controversy of the LORD, and you enduring foundations of the earth; for the LORD has a controversy with his people, and he will contend with Israel. “O my people, what have I done to you? In what have I wearied you? Answer me! For I brought you up from the land of Egypt, and redeemed you from the house of slavery; and I sent before you Moses, Aaron, and Miriam. O my people, remember now what King Balak of Moab devised, what Balaam son of Beor answered him, and what happened from Shittim to Gilgal, that you may know the saving acts of the LORD.” “With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt-offerings, with calves a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of [Dodge] rams, with ten thousands of [pipelines] rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?” He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [NRSV]
Living in a World of Protests
The Presidential Election was a protest voice giving upheaval to our political system.
The various marches and movements are protest voices. Have any of us here and everywhere not heard the voice of those drawing attention to racism, class-ism, sexism, socialism, communism, ism-ism. The Voices have been heard!!
It is time for active transformation, healing an Atonement
- We are living in a time when people are talking and not thinking.
- We are witnessing a period where people are acting and not grounded.
- We are experiencing a rending of our national fabric stumbling over our righteousness in the name of God’s righteousness.
- We have woven identities of like-minded factions using the threads of grace and gifts of our collective spiritual journey.
When we deserve entombment God intervenes in human experience to save, claim and restart our lives.
- We call this grace.
- God created Atonement,
- We think we need extra credit home work, God just starts us fresh.
God’s Good News has something to say about our collective sins AND God offers a solution for healing.
Two Roads Diverge in a Nations Path
- God has doubled-down our on innocence.
- The world is being driven by blame, guilt, shame, fear, and failures.
God is all-forgiving. He does not seek to judge and punish us, but to correct and heal us. He is not invested in our guilt but in our innocence. The spiritual principle by which He helps us return to love when we have strayed from its ways is the principle of Atonement. The Atonement was introduced into human consciousness by God Himself, as a response to our capacity for fear. It is our eternal opportunity to choose again. That is what makes the Atonement a miracle: it is something introduced into the laws of time and space, by a power beyond them both. Grace supersedes the law of karma. To atone is to admit our errors, praying that God free us from what would otherwise be their inevitable consequences. It is a humble return of our minds to God’s love. It is to recognize where we ourselves have taken a path away from God’s will, and ask to be corrected and forgiven and healed. The story of the Prodigal Son makes clear how delighted God is when the son who strayed returns. By willingly and consciously unburdening ourselves of the weight of our mistakes, we are given the chance to begin again, to go forward in life from a healed perspective. Could America not use a miracle? The command to atone is a universal spiritual theme. In the Jewish religion, Yom Kippur is the Day of Atonement, where Jews admit our errors of the past year, asking God’s forgiveness and for His willingness to inscribe us in the Book of Life for another year. (Healing the Soul of America, Marianne Williams p.92)
The Lord Requires a relationship
[1 Cor. 18-31] For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.” Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength. Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”
The First Action for Healing: Confession
The Second Step of Action is GOD’s work of Atonement. God Forgives and restores FIRST.
The Third is to model God’s Atonement and make whole to the extent that we can. We Follow God’s lead.
Note: Law can give leverage to Atonement, but only God can make us new, whole, complete.
The Final Step is to continue walking with God, until such time that we wander again.
Frustrating Game of Jenga: by Hasbro. The fun of the game is tearing the tower apart, God’s game is about building a people together.
Something to try this week: If you hear/see/experience someone protesting, tell/email/notify them this:
- “I hear your voice,
- Your Voice is Heard.”
- Now let’s ask God to heal us,
- make us new (God is not about revenge or back-pay, God simply starts us over.)
Let us find God’s foolishness our new way together and walk together in grace, humility and seeing the justice God has shown us all.
You will say in that day: I will give thanks to you, O LORD, for though you were angry with me, your anger turned away, and you comforted me. Surely God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid, for the LORD GOD is my strength and my might; he has become my salvation. With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day: Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known his deeds among the nations; proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing praises to the LORD, for he has done gloriously; let this be known in all the earth. Shout aloud and sing for joy, O royal Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel. [NRSV]
We have collectively experienced a physical, emotions, spiritual and social wrenching that has come to a crescendo this week.
Some of the most hateful, intolerant and hard-hearted words have been spoken about the election in the past seven days.
- Some have been riding on a seemingly, unending roller coaster that did not stop where it started.
- Others are grieving, spiraling, and building a strong case of depression
- while others have begun acting out of anger, which never leaders to safety, tolerance, and peace.
- Still others have remained silent and afraid to speak, for fear of ridicule.
It is time for us to HEAR the words of God’s prophet.
- God is my salvation.
- I will trust and not be afraid
- The Lord is my strength
- With Joy, draw water from the well of salvation.
- Give Thanks to the Lord, call his name, make his deeds known among the nations.
- Proclaim and exalt God’s name.
- Sing Praise to the Lord,
- Tell the world how glorious God is,
- Shout aloud and sing for Joy, God is with us.
It is time for us to SHARE the words of God’s prophet.
- Salvation is found in God, not our government
- Trust God and do not be afraid
- Find your strength in the Lord
- Draw on God’s joy when yours is missing
- This is a great time to look for and give witness to God in the world.
- Sing praises to God to remind us who leads this world
- Talk of good that God has done for us and the good God will do through us
- Shout loud and Sing the Good News: God is with us.
It is time for us to LIVE the words of God’s prophet.
- Our neighbors are divided and God is counting on us to salvation
- There are people in our workplaces that have lost truth and trust,
- Don’t ignore fears, but don’t be turned to anger and wrath, Find strength in God, not politics.
- Make a withdrawal from God’s account when ours is empty or draining.
- When we are divided is the clearest time to all move toward God.
- Sing praise to remind ourselves and others the God is speaking through us all.
- Talk of Good instead of evil. Speak of hope that is to be revealed.
- Shout, don’t keep quiet, God is with us. God will save us. God will guide us
The Alternative is grim:
- Continue to hold government higher than God and we will surely fall apart.
- Count on our political powers to provide for every need and we have no need for God
- Find our strengths in our efforts, our wealth, our correct thinking, and our feelings and they will all fail
- Sing praises that are only pleasing and comforting and we will be alone
- Only talk about our point of view, our goodness, and correct thinking and we will see only ourselves
- Keep quiet about God and God will speak through someone else who will follow, trust and love.
Lord have mercy on me a sinner.
Lord have mercy on our nation and all the nations, for we are all sinners.
God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in mine eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at mine end, and at my departing. [Sarum Primer, 1558]
Christ Came to Save Sinners
- It’s not new but it remains our hallmark.
- It is opposite of the image we have sold to the unchurch and de-churched.
- It remains our message and work of being the body of Christ for the world.
I am the gold medal Sinner
- The best at choosing poorly.
- The best at being bad.
- The best at placing God’s seal of approval on our blindly seeking what we determine God wants for ourselves and the world.
Sin is the perfect place for Jesus to shine.
- is working in the backwards direction,
- is leading us away from the heart of God,
is our sin.
Sin is not a concrete list of Don’t and Do’s.
The lists help, but the lists are never inclusive enough to cover all the shades of grey.
Practice Application of Shining Christ through our Sin:
- “Lead me not into temptation”
- Practice Piety (Wesley’s Rule #3)
- Membership promises to use the church as a place of faith building/practice
- When we see our on sin, own up and ask for grace/fresh start
- When others see our sins, we confess, make right what can be done and seek grace
- When we think we get away with ‘it’ know this day, God knows and hurts with us.
- Grace over Judgement:
- Jesus looks at our sins and see someone to love and bless
- Calls for our repentance (our desire and willingness to be transformed)
- Call us to go and sin no more, live in the God direction
- Not as a rule but as response to grace
So are you a sinner? Yep!
Does Jesus want to make you new, no matter if we are the best sinner? Yep!
Does God gives us a minds, a spirit and the church for support to grow toward God.
Who needs to know this? Who can you sit down and explain this to? who needs to hear this from you? GO SHOW THEM how far you have come through Christ.
From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though we once knew Christ from a human point of view, we know him no longer in that way. So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. So we are ambassadors for Christ, since God is making his appeal through us; we entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. [NRSV]
The One sentence sermon: Because of God’s work of grace in Christ makes our spirit new, we are charged with a ministry of doing the same with the world through Christ.
Paul Case for the Church:
- God has been busy.
- God has changed the world, the rules and has changed us.
- The rules and boundaries have changed.
- We are no longer in control and no longer responsible for our salvation.
- Because God lived, died and conquered death, we now know God, in this new resurrection life.
- Everything old has passed away.
- Everything is being made new
- God’s goal is to make things whole.
- Reconciliation: God making our relationship whole.
- Why would God want to reset the relationship with us? The old ways are not working for us.
- What are the old ways?
- Choosing to Trust God with the purpose of our living.
- Choosing What God would want for us, because we trust God’s love and authority
- Choosing not because death is the alternative, rather because trusting God is
- God is working through us, just as God worked through Jesus.
- Ministry of Reconciliation
- Work as Ambassadors
- Being whole is God reflects our purpose,
- get your Jesus Shine on, show them, Chrost
Ambassadors for Jesus Christ. Official spokespersons and witnesses of Jesus.
- In Christ we are a new creation, the old passes away,
- This is made possible by God, through Jesus, for a ministry of reconciliation.
- We are entrusted with God’s message of reconciliation,
- As resident representatives.
- God appeal is make through us, when we are in Christ.
Ministry of reconciliation:
Be Reconciled, find the common ground, that leads to truce, which gives space for steps toward what is consistent with both parties and for Christians that is when we recognize that we are sinners, made new in Christ, to be witnesses to others sinful, broken, hurting folks toward the whole world accepting the work of Grace God has done through Christ for us all.
- Be reconciled is be working toward Christ.
- Be Ambassadors of the Journey
- Be come the Child of God, through Christ, for the transformation of the world.
- Key verse for being United Methodist
Applied to how we relate to sin, shine the light of Christ on our family, neighbor, communion, nation and world.. Show Christ
- sometimes Jesus says take a sword other times put them away
- sometimes Jesus says come to me and at the same time go and sin no more
- sometimes Jesus rides in triumphantly and walks on water, other time he disappears in the crowd
- sometimes Jesus says feed the hungry and times he says eat this bread
To reflect Christ is neither conservative nor liberal
To reflect Christ is allow the new creation to thrive and the old self to let go
To reflect Christ is to be close enough to Christ, by faith/trust, that it’s Christ the world sees
Go let God make is so through Christ, Shine on!
Posted by myoikos in #2016, #jesus, #loveneverwins, #marriage, #sacrifice, #umc, 5 Practices, Christmas, Extravagant Generosity, Faith, Forgiveness, Generosity, God, holiday, Holy Spirit, Intentional Spiritual Growth, Love, Marriage, Passionate Worship, Prophets, Putting God First, Radical Hospitality, Relationship, Risk Taking Mission and Service, Sacrifice, Service, Sin, Spiritual, Spiritual Growth, Truth, Wisdom, Witness on January 30, 2016
If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love. [NRSV]
Do I love that dress?
In a world, where we love mashed potatoes, love our sports teams and love or hate the weather, it is important to spend a moment being clear about love.
This past Christmas Eve, I ran a few errands and saw three stores putting out Valentine season products on the shelf. At first, I was frustrated that we had not officially started Christmas and retailers had moved to the next money grab. But if we stop and think what Christmas is about, God loving us so much that our heavenly father sends his only child to bridge the gap of love that we cannot build nor complete. Maybe a giant heart-shaped box of delicious treasures is better Christmas gift.
Love: Nothing Gained
ELOQUENT SPEECH: Genuine Love needs no response. That’s hard.
- If I speak in the tongues of mortals and angels,
- but do not have love,
- I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
- but do not have love,
CHARISMATIC VISION: Genuine Love sees through a show.
- If I have prophetic powers,
- but do not have love,
- I am nothing.
- but do not have love,
INSIGHTFUL COMPREHENSION: Genuine Love is not calculated.
- If I understand all mysteries
- but do not have love,
- I am nothing.
- but do not have love,
MULTIPLE DEGREES IN MULTIPLE DISCIPLINES: Genuine Love has nothing to prove.
- If I had all knowledge,
- but do not have love,
- I am nothing.
- but do not have love,
UNWAVERING TRUST and BELIEF: Genuine Love is the core of faith.
- If I have all faith, so as to remove mountains,
- but do not have love,
- I am nothing.
- but do not have love,
EXTRAVAGANT SELFLESSNESS: Genuine Love is Forgetful of the score.
- If I give away all my possessions,
- but do not have love,
- I gain nothing.
- but do not have love,
SACRIFICIAL OFFERING: Genuine Love cannot be faked.
- If I hand over my body so that I may boast,
- but do not have love,
- I gain nothing.
- but do not have love,
IF, THEN STATEMENTS
- Conditional statements about unconditional, foundational core of relationships.
- SuperMan/SuperWoman are meaningless without love. Right Action, Wrong Purpose
- Love is God’s meaning, purpose, and energy, what we have to gain. Love is God’s power plant
- BOTTOM LINE: Without Love all in life is meaningless. Scientific Method can never love. Science is accurate in measuring how, but not why. Love is why. The universe is not so big to make us feel special; it is to show how incredible God is.
The Object of Love NOT loves itself.
LOVE is sacrificial, selfless, extravagant, unwavering, trusting, knowing, insightful, visionary, and charismatic, but the reverse does not necessarily describe love.
The test if Love is love or something else: Does my love stop if Love is not returned?
- You can take one for the team and not love the team at all.
- You can act selflessly, seeking approval for your random act of kindness.
- Your extravagance can become enabling.
- You can be “committed” and support something evil
- You can trust wealth, fame, opinion polls or deeply held principles, but these are based on us, and we inconsistent, fragile and often wrong.
- You can know many facts but not know how to use information
- You can misguide judgement selfishly
- Your visionary work can be selfishly motivated
- Your charisma or charm can fool people
- The Object of God’s Love is you. Hear the Good News..
- God’s love is not if, then. God’s love is. God may not like our behavior,
- God forever loves us.
IS / IS NOT
- Love is patient; tolerant of us and intolerant of our manipulations
- Love is kind; when is the last time we were snippy, rude or down right mean
- love is not envious; I want vs. God wants
- love is not boastful I’m right, you are wrong
- love is not arrogant I know better than you
- Love is not rude. Thoughtless or intentionally vindictive
- Love is not insistent My way or no way.
- Love is not irritable How can I get attention
- love is not resentful How come I’m not getting attention
- love cannot rejoice in wrongdoing, I told you so
- love rejoices in the truth. Admit I am wrong, especially when they are wrong too.
- (sometimes being truthful is not popular or pleasing)
- Love endure and hold up through all things, vs. I will give you one more chance, or no more chances
- Love believes through all things; You crossed my line, your out.
- Love remains hopeful through all things, We can’t do it, That’s impossible.
- Love lasts longer than anything else. I give up
If we are honest, our conversations and actions reveal, while we know what loving is, we are not always loving when it get self-less.
- Love never ends.
- Prophecies end
- language ends
- knowledge ends
- wealth ends
- Love never ends.
The Best is Yet to Come
For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end.
We learn to love as children, and it is to mature and grow.
- Speaking.. saying I love you.
- Thinking— Thinking about
- Reasoning Justifying Love
When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways.
- Adult love, mature love, doesn’t have, to say it. We are not there yet..
- Adult love, doesn’t have to plan it and think it through, it is automatic. We calculate..
- Adult love, doesn’t have to have everything neat. We try to fix, cover up or manage love.
- When we move toward God’s love, we loose ourselves and more fully enter the heart of God.
For now, we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. 13 And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.
Love is a work in progress.. try letting your guard down and God through.
John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.” But Jesus said, “Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. Whoever is not against us is for us. For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward. “If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were hung around your neck and you were thrown into the sea. If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life maimed than to have two hands and to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame than to have two feet and to be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to stumble, tear it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and to be thrown into hell, where their worm never dies, and the fire is never quenched. “For everyone will be salted with fire. Salt is good; but if salt has lost its saltiness, how can you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.” [NRSV]
Hey, Who cares about the Pope, we are not Catholic
Jesus is more concerned about actions and relationships than titles and divisions
The Popes visit was somewhat historic, this guy is Pope and he had never traveled to the super power of nations.
There were surely folks at the Vatican who were saying:
we do t need to go on some foreign mission when we have so many folks in need here in Vatican City, Italy and Europe
the trip is a waste of money, they have churches they can take care of this themselves
just stay here and send the, a letter or post a YouTube video
The Pope Models our work as Christians
The Hierarchy of he church made sure the Pope had audiences with leaders, congress, the United Nations and benefactors of the church.
The Pope interrupted all the plans each day to make small difference in the lives of individuals.
Dont ignore the witness of Christ through the Pope
What was going on in the US Thursday? 8:00pm
- Thursday night football 3.2 million
- Bill ORiley 2.7M watching the news
- WWE Smackdown 2.3M watch the important professional wrestling
- 2.1 m watched mountain men on the history channel
- 1.9 watched the new episode of ‘ castle’
- 12 and a half million citizen age 2 and older were focused on watching TV
- 23 Million were estimated to be online
Popes modeling servanthood and we are media driven
2. If your not going to be modeling Christ, certainly don’t lead other astray
A) the old Miletone torture treatment: it’s a horrible statement from Jesus:
B) mangle the human body rather than leads the little/young in faith.
c) if you lead folks away from God by out example: the ultimate punishment is A hell never dying worms and flames that are an eternal torture.
If Jesus the Prince of Peace is working about all sorts of torture what’s going on here ?.
What must we do to avoid these terrible atrocities.
make grains of difference
feed someone and tell the, why you are feeding them for Jesus, not your salvation
clothe someone and tell them how God is working I their presence not making you safe
visit someone, befriend someone and you build a relationship of Jesus with us that is genuine and real
co fort and heal as Christ working and you share the work of Christ in Suffering terror filled world that is still afraid of red moons and and threats of war.
what will it take to get serious about our faith?
for some, you are already on that journey
for some, you think your done, but you are not
for others, you Think it’s not your calling, that’s for others, you feel too busy, to weary, to thin, to full, to committed
A: will it take loosing your limb to see that you need Jesus
B will it take your death or someone else to see your life needs Jesus at the core
C will you eternally seek what worms can eat and fire can burn to find what is actually spiritual and actually eternal?
Lets help each other, I forage one another rather an ignore or scare each other.
Cardiologist said eat little to no salt. Jesus said, be the salt.
be the flavor
be the preservative
be the difference in one persons life of faith… And you will not go wrong
From there he set out and went away to the region of Tyre. He entered a house and did not want anyone to know he was there. Yet he could not escape notice,but a woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit immediately heard about him, and she came and bowed down at his feet.Now the woman was a Gentile, of Syrophoenician origin. She begged him to cast the demon out of her daughter.He said to her, “Let the children be fed first, for it is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.”But she answered him, “Sir, even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”Then he said to her, “For saying that, you may go–the demon has left your daughter. So she went home, found the child lying on the bed, and the demon gone.Then he returned from the region of Tyre, and went by way of Sidon towards the Sea of Galilee, in the region of the Decapolis. They brought to him a deaf man who had an impediment in his speech; and they begged him to lay his hand on him.He took him aside in private, away from the crowd, and put his fingers into his ears, and he spat and touched his tongue.Then looking up to heaven, he sighed and said to him, “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.”And immediately his ears were opened, his tongue was released, and he spoke plainly. Then Jesus ordered them to tell no one; but the more he ordered them, the more zealously they proclaimed it.They were astounded beyond measure, saying, “He has done everything well; he even makes the deaf to hear and the mute to speak. [NRSV]
The Politics of Racism:
It is in influx of racially motivated incidents AND the fires fueled by political factions that our United Methodist Council of Bishops has asked us to address the topic of Racism this Sunday. They ask us to 1) acknowledge that racism is a sin and to 2) affirm the church’s roll in eradicating Racism is to be a priority. I find this passage that is typically remembered for its emphasis by Jesus on miraculous healing, is an interesting perspective on dealing with assumptions and prejudice, regarding racial divisions.
The passage is about seeing and hearing Racism.
First, the passage is about Jesus healing people from different political and geographical regions.
Gentiles of Syrophoenician heritage, Folks from Tyre, Sidon and the Decapolis regions.
We generally focus on the healing miracles and skip over the very thing we need to hear and see in the passage:
Might Jesus be a racist?
And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For we do not proclaim ourselves; we proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake. For it is the God who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. [NRSV]
- Shine Jesus
- Shine your shoes
- Shine as in moonshine
- Shiner as in a black eye
- Shiny as in a new car, red Corvette or a white Tahoe
- Shiny as in a proof coin
But today we talk about the Flashlight.
- in 1886 the first dry-cell batteries were made which powers a variety of emerging ideas
- In 1898, Russian immigrant inventor, Conrad Hubert made the first flashlight. And later founded the Ever-Ready Battery Company.
- In 1899, English inventor David Misell invented the first flashlight. He was the first to use the “D” battery which had a stronger light.
But those early models had a weak and inconsistent power source and bulbs that were more fragile and temperamental than modern LED and HID flashlights. The name flashlight came from the intermittent light that burn for a short while and had to rest before it was read to be used again. Thus the short flash of light gave the battery with bulb stick the nickname: a flashlight.
I suggest that we have much to learn from the early flashlight as an example of our spiritual development.
1. When we find ourselves connected to the power God gives us, that is within each of us, we tap into a the source of awareness, knowledge, guidance, counsel and spiritual strength. We seem to quickly do one of two things: a) doubt it is a way of life that God has intended for us and/or b) confuse our personal power, talents and strength with God’s.
Like the flashlight, God’s presence is revealed in the darkness of a broken and sinful world and when we turn it on in the dark, the darkness is no more. But for some reason we turn off the lights.
Life in the Dark, holding a flashlight.
It sounds unbelievable, buy there a just a few times (denote the sarcasm) that while we are holding on the the switch that connects us to scriptures, worship, Christian fellowship, prayer, opportunities to serve, witness and give, we allow the darkness to take us over.
The Reality of Darkness
- When human beings behead, cage and burn, degrade and devalue women and children. Here we see the darkness of evil.
- When other the teachings of other faith’s say Jesus is but another prophet and deny Jesus is God’s present in our history and at the thrown as the begotten of God. When Jesus is left behind, or left out all together, darkness grows stronger.
- When human beings long for governments to provide what God gives or what God equips us to provide for ourselves, evil has made dark the world.
- The less we proclaim the light of Christ, the more expanse of darkness increases along with the grip of evil and brokenness.
The starting point is to affirm that some things are good and some bad, some light and some dark:
- Shine the light, the light erases the darkness. The darkness is not present where the light shine
- Darkness, where is the darkness? In your check book or cupboard? In your plans and dreams? In you behavior and attitude?
- The Gravitational darkness of the back hole of evil.
- Stumbling in the dark.
- The futile task of traveling in the dark… without night vision.
- Thermal signature from the energy emitted from a beating heart.
AFRAID OF THE DARK:
- As a boy I had a teddy bear that would allow me to hide under the covers and was brave enough to keep his head out in the dark room to keep watch over shadows and strange noises. He would occasionally be willing to be held by his feet and look under the bed or even fly across the room to check the closet door.
- We have more than a teddy bear to watch over our fears. We never out grow fear. We manage and mature over different fearful situations, but fear is a life long struggle. Jesus is our stand in. Jesus hold us and grounds us while we explore a fear-filled world.
- Be Afraid of the Dark, Don’t be Afraid to take Jesus with You when it IS dark.
Let Christ’s light shine:
- Sometimes that darkness is people’s behaviors and attitudes and we need not face the conflict alone.
- We face conflict knowing the Jesus never promised to have a life free of fear, but to be our counsel when the darkness surrounds, threatens and tempts us.
JESUS COME QUICK
- Sometime Shining the light is calling on Jesus out-loud and directly.
- Sometime Shining the light is deliberate words and actions that unfold over time.
- Sometime Shining the light is charging our spiritual batteries when we are strong for times we are weak.
- Bottom line: Shine the light of Christ is allowing CHRIST to shine through me and through you.
PAUL the PHYSICS AUTHORITY
I doubt Paul knew the speed of light. But lighting a lamp in a darken room; carrying a torch into a dark street; proclaiming and trusting God to show up in a cell in prison, or in conflict in the church, or the pull of governments and other types of worship.. Paul calls on the Spirit that cause him to become blind, so that he could see, to guide his steps in all things.
Turn on the flashlight. Not with the weak beam of light that you and I have to add. Rather allow Christ to light through us.
Let the world hear the Good News in our words, songs and witness
Let the world hear that evil is present but not in charge.
Pray, Speak up, be pro-active, Don’t wait for darkness to leave, Shine Christ in it.
Where is the darkness around you?
At work: Pray for the trouble makers, and difficult cases, and stumbling blocks to see Christ in you.
At home: Make time for study, worship, fellowship and communication.
In community: Small groups, worship, service, witness and fellowship.. bring the dark to the light
Online: For all the good that comes with information overload technologies, comes the easy access of evil and darkness to be at our fingertips 24/7. Set limits, support accountability and confess our sins.
Around the World: God didn’t wait for God’s people to get their act together, but went to the Shepherd and Magi to and revealed where they looked into the darkness and show them THE GREAT LIGHT at Jesus’ birth.
Carry your a flashlight with you. When you see evil and darkness, shine the light of Christ.. your flashlight might be scripture, songs of faith, words of hope, and lessons of accountability. Don’t sit in the dark and don’t let others either.