Archive for category #humility
Hear what the LORD says: Rise, plead your case before the mountains, and let the hills hear your voice. Hear, you mountains, the controversy of the LORD, and you enduring foundations of the earth; for the LORD has a controversy with his people, and he will contend with Israel. “O my people, what have I done to you? In what have I wearied you? Answer me! For I brought you up from the land of Egypt, and redeemed you from the house of slavery; and I sent before you Moses, Aaron, and Miriam. O my people, remember now what King Balak of Moab devised, what Balaam son of Beor answered him, and what happened from Shittim to Gilgal, that you may know the saving acts of the LORD.” “With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt-offerings, with calves a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of [Dodge] rams, with ten thousands of [pipelines] rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?” He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [NRSV]
Living in a World of Protests
The Presidential Election was a protest voice giving upheaval to our political system.
The various marches and movements are protest voices. Have any of us here and everywhere not heard the voice of those drawing attention to racism, class-ism, sexism, socialism, communism, ism-ism. The Voices have been heard!!
It is time for active transformation, healing an Atonement
- We are living in a time when people are talking and not thinking.
- We are witnessing a period where people are acting and not grounded.
- We are experiencing a rending of our national fabric stumbling over our righteousness in the name of God’s righteousness.
- We have woven identities of like-minded factions using the threads of grace and gifts of our collective spiritual journey.
When we deserve entombment God intervenes in human experience to save, claim and restart our lives.
- We call this grace.
- God created Atonement,
- We think we need extra credit home work, God just starts us fresh.
God’s Good News has something to say about our collective sins AND God offers a solution for healing.
Two Roads Diverge in a Nations Path
- God has doubled-down our on innocence.
- The world is being driven by blame, guilt, shame, fear, and failures.
God is all-forgiving. He does not seek to judge and punish us, but to correct and heal us. He is not invested in our guilt but in our innocence. The spiritual principle by which He helps us return to love when we have strayed from its ways is the principle of Atonement. The Atonement was introduced into human consciousness by God Himself, as a response to our capacity for fear. It is our eternal opportunity to choose again. That is what makes the Atonement a miracle: it is something introduced into the laws of time and space, by a power beyond them both. Grace supersedes the law of karma. To atone is to admit our errors, praying that God free us from what would otherwise be their inevitable consequences. It is a humble return of our minds to God’s love. It is to recognize where we ourselves have taken a path away from God’s will, and ask to be corrected and forgiven and healed. The story of the Prodigal Son makes clear how delighted God is when the son who strayed returns. By willingly and consciously unburdening ourselves of the weight of our mistakes, we are given the chance to begin again, to go forward in life from a healed perspective. Could America not use a miracle? The command to atone is a universal spiritual theme. In the Jewish religion, Yom Kippur is the Day of Atonement, where Jews admit our errors of the past year, asking God’s forgiveness and for His willingness to inscribe us in the Book of Life for another year. (Healing the Soul of America, Marianne Williams p.92)
The Lord Requires a relationship
[1 Cor. 18-31] For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.” Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength. Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”
The First Action for Healing: Confession
The Second Step of Action is GOD’s work of Atonement. God Forgives and restores FIRST.
The Third is to model God’s Atonement and make whole to the extent that we can. We Follow God’s lead.
Note: Law can give leverage to Atonement, but only God can make us new, whole, complete.
The Final Step is to continue walking with God, until such time that we wander again.
Frustrating Game of Jenga: by Hasbro. The fun of the game is tearing the tower apart, God’s game is about building a people together.
Something to try this week: If you hear/see/experience someone protesting, tell/email/notify them this:
- “I hear your voice,
- Your Voice is Heard.”
- Now let’s ask God to heal us,
- make us new (God is not about revenge or back-pay, God simply starts us over.)
Let us find God’s foolishness our new way together and walk together in grace, humility and seeing the justice God has shown us all.
From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though we once knew Christ from a human point of view, we know him no longer in that way. So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. So we are ambassadors for Christ, since God is making his appeal through us; we entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. [NRSV]
The One sentence sermon: Because of God’s work of grace in Christ makes our spirit new, we are charged with a ministry of doing the same with the world through Christ.
Paul Case for the Church:
- God has been busy.
- God has changed the world, the rules and has changed us.
- The rules and boundaries have changed.
- We are no longer in control and no longer responsible for our salvation.
- Because God lived, died and conquered death, we now know God, in this new resurrection life.
- Everything old has passed away.
- Everything is being made new
- God’s goal is to make things whole.
- Reconciliation: God making our relationship whole.
- Why would God want to reset the relationship with us? The old ways are not working for us.
- What are the old ways?
- Choosing to Trust God with the purpose of our living.
- Choosing What God would want for us, because we trust God’s love and authority
- Choosing not because death is the alternative, rather because trusting God is
- God is working through us, just as God worked through Jesus.
- Ministry of Reconciliation
- Work as Ambassadors
- Being whole is God reflects our purpose,
- get your Jesus Shine on, show them, Chrost
Ambassadors for Jesus Christ. Official spokespersons and witnesses of Jesus.
- In Christ we are a new creation, the old passes away,
- This is made possible by God, through Jesus, for a ministry of reconciliation.
- We are entrusted with God’s message of reconciliation,
- As resident representatives.
- God appeal is make through us, when we are in Christ.
Ministry of reconciliation:
Be Reconciled, find the common ground, that leads to truce, which gives space for steps toward what is consistent with both parties and for Christians that is when we recognize that we are sinners, made new in Christ, to be witnesses to others sinful, broken, hurting folks toward the whole world accepting the work of Grace God has done through Christ for us all.
- Be reconciled is be working toward Christ.
- Be Ambassadors of the Journey
- Be come the Child of God, through Christ, for the transformation of the world.
- Key verse for being United Methodist
Applied to how we relate to sin, shine the light of Christ on our family, neighbor, communion, nation and world.. Show Christ
- sometimes Jesus says take a sword other times put them away
- sometimes Jesus says come to me and at the same time go and sin no more
- sometimes Jesus rides in triumphantly and walks on water, other time he disappears in the crowd
- sometimes Jesus says feed the hungry and times he says eat this bread
To reflect Christ is neither conservative nor liberal
To reflect Christ is allow the new creation to thrive and the old self to let go
To reflect Christ is to be close enough to Christ, by faith/trust, that it’s Christ the world sees
Go let God make is so through Christ, Shine on!