Archive for category glory
The heavens are telling the glory of God, and the firmament proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard, yet their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In the heavens, he has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy, and like a strong man runs its course with joy. Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them; and nothing is hidden from its heat. The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the decrees of the LORD are sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey, and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is a great reward. But who can detect their errors? Clear me from hidden faults. Keep back your servant also from the insolent; do not let them have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. [NRSV]
Begin with the ending:
“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.”
Some preachers quote this verse as a little insurance policy. “I hope what I say is acceptable to you because I’m standing up here in front of everyone speaking in your name.” At best, we quote this verse as a declaration: that what comes out of our mouths should reflect God that is revealed in the world around us; God who is our foundation and salvation.
This passage is not just for preachers: All who are in Christ speak of God’s work, love, plan, and law, even if we never say a word. We need God to live and share the life that is joyful, full and true.
Seeing God in the Heavens
Look to the heavens to see the presence and power of God.
The heavens are telling the glory of God’s purpose and abilities.
The earth reveals the evidence of God’s work and plans.
- God is with us, “Day by Day”
- One image of God is that of an engine who designs a grand machine, starts the motor and sits back to see what the creation will do.
- The Psalmist is proclaiming that God is with us every day and every night.
- Speaking without words and sounds: The witness of design and process.
- The stars, planets, comets, asteroids, light, dark matter, energy, and gravity are evident even though we have no words to create them, nor order them, nor change them.
- There is beauty in the heavens, as a groom and bride look at one another and see with love and joy.
Seeing God in the Workings of the Earth
The earth is working like a strong laborer that takes no break and strives with joy that is unending.
- The seasons and calendars to measure and plan,
- the way seeds and soil work together,
- the way water and clouds work,
- the way populations are reproduced, t
- the way air and nutrients sustain all that is living.
Together All things work together to witness God is present and working with us.
The Sun, stars, and planets are the beginning and the ends, they are interdependently operating in a connected system. The light and heat of the sun is greater than anything we can create
2. The Law of the Lord is perfect [enough for all things, people, and times.]
The purpose of the Law of the Lord is to revive the soul.
- Decrees are sure, both simple and wise
- Precepts are right, to give joy to the heart and soul.
- Commandments are clear, informative, pure, enduring,
- Ordinances are true and righteous
Together these are of more value that much-refined gold and sweeter than fresh, raw honey from the hive.
3. We See and Know, but so what?
The purpose of the Law is to be a warning.
Our reward is found in keeping the Law…
4. Why bother and Where to Start?
Problem: Who can determine who, when, why, how we have not kept them all truly?
Solution: God clears me from my faults, failures, sins and all evil…
- Protect me from those who tempt and lure, entice, me from your power and law..
- Protect me from me. Don’t’ let others have dominion, rule, power or control of my life, purpose, work, and joy.
- If you protect me, I will be blameless, if I am left alone will be lost in my transgressions.
- THEREFORE. Protect me from what I say, think, do and believe.
I need you to save me and be the one who I trust
- in all things,
- at all times,
- in all ways.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, even if now for a little while you have had to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith—being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Although you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. [NRSV]
- Kept in heaven,
- protected by the power of God
- an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading
SUFFERING and SUFFERING for our faith
- You will know trials for a little time, but God’s salvation forever.
- This is one of the most difficult to accept parts: God doesn’t make it any easier on us than the next person.
- God doesn’t make it any easier on us than the next person.
- Living as a person of faith means:
- Knowing you are ultimately love and valuable to God who gives us breath, lives, love and hope.
- Choosing God’s ways AS our ways
- Choosing God’s way as our ways when the world says, begs, models challenges us otherwise.
FAITH TESTED BY FIRE
- Faith is more precious than gold
- Love without Seeing
- Genuiness of faith rather than Successfulness of FAITH
- Faith is expressed in Praise, Glory, and Honor
ASSURANCE of REWARD
- Rather than cut each other down, be challenged to live one another up.
- Rather than focus on the loss in the moment, look to the hope in eternity
- Rather than be devastated in the current disappointments, know Jesus is readily available to restore and renew us living as a commitment.
Athletes: commit to
Scouts: Getting it done and completing the task
Work: Doing what no one wants to do builds character and strengthen the team bond