Archive for category #fear
The heavens are telling the glory of God, and the firmament proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard, yet their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In the heavens, he has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy, and like a strong man runs its course with joy. Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them; and nothing is hidden from its heat. The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the decrees of the LORD are sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey, and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is a great reward. But who can detect their errors? Clear me from hidden faults. Keep back your servant also from the insolent; do not let them have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. [NRSV]
Begin with the ending:
“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.”
Some preachers quote this verse as a little insurance policy. “I hope what I say is acceptable to you because I’m standing up here in front of everyone speaking in your name.” At best, we quote this verse as a declaration: that what comes out of our mouths should reflect God that is revealed in the world around us; God who is our foundation and salvation.
This passage is not just for preachers: All who are in Christ speak of God’s work, love, plan, and law, even if we never say a word. We need God to live and share the life that is joyful, full and true.
Seeing God in the Heavens
Look to the heavens to see the presence and power of God.
The heavens are telling the glory of God’s purpose and abilities.
The earth reveals the evidence of God’s work and plans.
- God is with us, “Day by Day”
- One image of God is that of an engine who designs a grand machine, starts the motor and sits back to see what the creation will do.
- The Psalmist is proclaiming that God is with us every day and every night.
- Speaking without words and sounds: The witness of design and process.
- The stars, planets, comets, asteroids, light, dark matter, energy, and gravity are evident even though we have no words to create them, nor order them, nor change them.
- There is beauty in the heavens, as a groom and bride look at one another and see with love and joy.
Seeing God in the Workings of the Earth
The earth is working like a strong laborer that takes no break and strives with joy that is unending.
- The seasons and calendars to measure and plan,
- the way seeds and soil work together,
- the way water and clouds work,
- the way populations are reproduced, t
- the way air and nutrients sustain all that is living.
Together All things work together to witness God is present and working with us.
The Sun, stars, and planets are the beginning and the ends, they are interdependently operating in a connected system. The light and heat of the sun is greater than anything we can create
2. The Law of the Lord is perfect [enough for all things, people, and times.]
The purpose of the Law of the Lord is to revive the soul.
- Decrees are sure, both simple and wise
- Precepts are right, to give joy to the heart and soul.
- Commandments are clear, informative, pure, enduring,
- Ordinances are true and righteous
Together these are of more value that much-refined gold and sweeter than fresh, raw honey from the hive.
3. We See and Know, but so what?
The purpose of the Law is to be a warning.
Our reward is found in keeping the Law…
4. Why bother and Where to Start?
Problem: Who can determine who, when, why, how we have not kept them all truly?
Solution: God clears me from my faults, failures, sins and all evil…
- Protect me from those who tempt and lure, entice, me from your power and law..
- Protect me from me. Don’t’ let others have dominion, rule, power or control of my life, purpose, work, and joy.
- If you protect me, I will be blameless, if I am left alone will be lost in my transgressions.
- THEREFORE. Protect me from what I say, think, do and believe.
I need you to save me and be the one who I trust
- in all things,
- at all times,
- in all ways.
On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” 36 And leaving the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. Other boats were with him. 37 A great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped. 38 But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” 39 He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. 40 He said to them, “Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?” 41 And they were filled with great awe and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?” [NRSV]
Top Ten Diagnosed Phobias [fearof.net]
1. Arachnophobia – The fear of spiders
2. Ophidiophobia – The fear of snakes.
3. Acrophobia – The fear of heights.
4. Agoraphobia – The fear of open or crowded spaces.
5. Cynophobia – The fear of dogs.
6. Astraphobia – The fear of thunder/lightning
7. Claustrophobia – The fear of small spaces
8. Mysophobia – The fear of germs.
9. Aerophobia – The fear of flying.
10. Trypophobia – The fear of holes
11. Carcinophobia – The fear of cancer.
12. Thanatophobia – The fear of death.
13. Glossophobia – The fear of public speaking.
14. Monophobia – The fear of being alone
15. Atychiphobia – The fear of failure.
16. Ornithophobia – The fear of birds.
17. Alektorophobia – The fear of chickens.
18. Enochlophobia – The fear of crowds
19. Aphenphosmphobia – The fear of intimacy.
20. Trypanophobia – The fear of needles.
[inc.com Eric Mack, OCT 27, 2017]
74.5 % Corrupt Government
55.3 % Healthcare
53.1 % Pollution of Water
50.2 % Not enough money for the future
48.4 % High Medical Bills
48.4 % Involvement in another War
48.0 % Weather and Climate Change
47.5 % North Korea using weapons
44.5 % Air Pollution
44.4 % Economic Collapse/ Stock Crash
43.5 % Extinction of species
43.3 % Terror Attack
41.9 % Identity Theft
41.8 % Biological Attack
40.3 % Credit Fraud
39.7 % Death of Loved Ones/Friend
39.1 % Serious Illness of Loved Ones/Friend
39.1 % Cyber-Terrorism
39.0 % Nuclear Attack
38.8 % General Terrorism
38.6 % Restrictions on Firearms
37.4 % Government Tracking personal data
36.7 % Corporate Tracking of personal data
36.2 % Toxic Spills
35.7 % Electrical Grid Attack/Collapse
35.5 % Hit by a drunk driver
32.8 % Pandemic
30.7 % Being unemployed
30.2 % Nuclear accident
29.0 % Losing saved data/photos
28.2 % Heights
28.1 % Involved in a mass shooting
27.2 % Government’s use of drones within US
26.6 % Drought
26.6 % Break-ins
25.7 % Becoming seriously ill
25.4 % Victim of Theft
25.4 % Shark attack
25.3 % AI/Computers replacing people
24.3 % Tornados
23.6 % Reptiles
22.6 % Earthquakes
21.4 % Hurricane
20.9 % Hate Crimes
20.3 % Dying
2001 US Fears [Gallup.com]
2. Public Speaking
4. closed in small spaces
12. going to the doctor
13. the dark
Jesus looks to us, knows our fear and asks us: Why are you afraid?
Fear can be a helpful and motivating force. But when we allow fear to debilitate our growth and progression we must acknowledge we need to turn to Jesus for strength.
- I’m I afraid of dying? Yes and No! No, I know Jesus has good for me in staying and Good for me in leaving to be with him.
- I’m I afraid of Wendy or the kids dying? Yes and No! Yes, Jesus has great for them, but I’m not ready to miss out on time sharing our lives.
- I’m I afraid of people’s missed-place trust in government? I have been, but I’m committed to turning that over to Jesus. Q/A: that looks like this, when I hear people afraid about politics, I’m called to ask them to pray with me about what Jesus’s boat is going to do?
- I’ve been afraid of what the church is going to do/not do come February, but I”m not afraid any more. Jesus is going to open a way to teach us to be the church.
- With a daughter in California I’ve been afraid of earthquakes.
- With a son in the military I’ve been afraid of threats of war.
- With neighbors in Hawaii I’ve been afraid they will get to close to the volcano. With a daughter in high school, I’ve been afraid that pier pressure will challenge her values and work ethic.
- I’ve been afraid Wendy will not find her way after investing so much time caring for her parents.
- I’ve been afraid my brother won’t be part of my family in the future.
- I’ve been afraid, but fear is not going to arrest my faith!!
The perspective of the disciples is that Jesus does not care, because they are faced with fear.
- The perspective from fear is death, loss, storm and
- The perspective from faith is that fear is real, but Jesus is with me.
- What is your perspective?
How do we shift from fear to faith
- prayer – keep the conversation open and flowing with Jesus
- practice – practice turning over, talking over, trusting Jesus
- progress – encourage one another to help see the progress
- a) in all things
- b) with out ceasing
- c) have a little talk with Jesus
- d) listen
- a) remember we have our responsibilities on the boat but we are not in charge of the storm.
- B) faith grown buy trusting Jesus, trusting People of God, living God’s word.
- a)the encouragement that we find by looking back after the storms have pasted to prepare us for the storm of the present and the future.