Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. You turn us back to dust, and say, “Turn back, you mortals.” For a thousand years in your sight are like yesterday when it is past, or like a watch in the night. You sweep them away; they are like a dream, like grass that is renewed in the morning; in the morning it flourishes and is renewed; in the evening it fades and withers. For we are consumed by your anger; by your wrath we are overwhelmed. You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your countenance. For all our days pass away under your wrath; our years come to an end like a sigh. The days of our life are seventy years, or perhaps eighty, if we are strong; even then their span is only toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away. Who considers the power of your anger? Your wrath is as great as the fear that is due you. So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart. Turn, O Lord! How long? Have compassion on your servants! Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, so that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Make us glad as many days as you have afflicted us, and as many years as we have seen evil. Let your work be manifest to your servants, and your glorious power to their children. Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and prosper for us the work of our hands— O prosper the work of our hands!. [Psalm 90:1-17: NRSA]
- Who are we to you who is ageless, all mighty, all powerful? We must be light the grass.
- Anger and Wrath –
- You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
- Not only are we speck, no a fly, on a frog, on a knot, on a log, in the bottom of the see, but you know our fears, our failures, and weaknesses.
- What do we matter? What is our value to God?
- Who are we to ask anything of God, Who are we to the Almighty, What does God need from us?
- Not only is God Mighty, Aware of our sin, God has no reason to be patient with us.
- Our prayer is for compassion.
- We cry out to God because even though God could crush us, ignore us, and eliminate us, God loves us.
- The Prayer request of Ps 90 is for God to start tomorrow fresh in God’s steadfast love.
- That we might start anew
- This is possible by seeing our sins, acknowledging our fear, confession our pride, owning up to our
Greed, Shame, weakness, failures, etc..all that tries to separate us from the Love of God.
- Let the rest of our days count more than the days of sin that have past.
- God’s accounting is “graceful forgetting.” God chooses to blot out what has been broken, evil, destructive, abused, all of the prizes any victim might grasp-to, God’s desire is to start fresh, make us knew as the new day, as the new grass, and the new life in Christ that we celebrate today!
- Goal of having a wise and faithful heart with God
- Let the world see your transforming work in our lives. Let the world hear you in the words we speak, and the ideas we share, and the work we produce.
This Psalm is laying our what life with God is like:
Being near God is like standing on the edge of an active volcano, feel the heat, the steam, the molten rock, the consuming power and threating explosion of power. Just standing that close to mouth we could not stand and yet, God is calling us to him.
Being near God is like standing next to a two story electrical generator, sitting at the base of a nuclear reactor. The awesome power to create also has the power to destroy.
There is a fascinating new computer program called gpt-3 and it understand the English language and generates results in various languages, including different computer codes, it can write an essay in the style of Abraham Lincoln, it can construct a novel with all the dialogue of all the random characters that it needs to tell its story. It is not available to the public because it can write essays, college acceptance letters, and legal briefs, medical diagnosis, that would challenge the legitimate work of students, attorneys, authors, and doctors. And it generates these types of products as quickly as you might do a Google search for something. It simulates conversations with historical figures, renders photos of people who do not exist. It draws on nearly 2 trillion records a data sources and generates what it ‘creates’ with enormous speed and accuracy.
I find is fascination and terrifying. A portion of the debate about using this machine is who holds the copyrights of what it produces and who gets the credit or blame for its answers. I do not marvel at it as something that could replace us, but something that could easily cause many people to stop thinking and working for themselves if a computer can generate a product with no effort but to enter a few words of a request. Its access is limited because the threat of misuse is too great.
And it no way comes close to the knowledge of God, but some would give us their own minds to save the labor and reduce the risk of failure, and the easy of not having to strive, grow, fail, and figure out solutions.
God is not a virtual mind, God is the author of creation, the builder of plants and stars, the architect of physics and mathematic and all that the world’s claims is science discoveries, not scientific creations.
Who wants to be around a God that is all power, all knowledge… it’s too much to bear/stand.
God is more than strength and knowledge, God has made us and desires to be with us.
- God is
- transparent yet revealed,
- and most of all, God cares for us, gives us grace, because God loves us.
God who is the source of all the universe, is concerned without relationship.
God knows our sins, failures, fears, weakness, shortcomings, excuses, meanness, jealousies, our greed, shame, selfishness, misuse of gifts, powers, time, life, faith, and all that God has called good that we have used from some other reason than God’s reasons.
If God didn’t care about us, then sin would not be a ‘thing’ in our lives.
Sin is the measure of how close we are to the heart of God.
Hopefully, we stay close and face in the God directions
- We do this through the Means of Grace/ Wesley’s understanding.
- Preventative Grace that helps before we know better
- Christ’s sacrifice on the cross that saves keeps the door open to God for us to return
- Sanctifying Grace includes all the ways we work to keep heading in a God direction
- Toward, Perfecting Grace that is finding ourselves at the feet, in the arms, at the heart of God
The Psalmist doesn’t know Christ, but knows Christ through God’s gracious willing to start new.
That is the reason we know to pray and cry out to God, SAVE US. HEAL US. BLESS US. RENEW US. RESTORE US.
We are able to call out to God, because God wants to help, hear, and bless us.
Why? Because God loves us.
- In this particular song, the writer wants God who looks at our sins, laid out on the table before God, to not be the measure of our life, the fruit of the time, resources, talents that God has entrusted to us.
Just as in the parable of the vineyard owner who gives out the talents while he is away, to one 5, one 2, and the other 1.
When the owner returns the first two have invested and use wisely what has been entrusted, the other buries the talent because he only see the fear, wrath, anger.. there is not relationship of grace that knows, even if we mess up trying God is wise, patient, gracious, and loving enough to see how we use the fruitfulness of God’s love in our lives.
- In this particular song, the writer wants us to remember that God would rather have us make our days count, our use of God’s time, space, and resources for God rather than fear God, love God in return
The wise choice for our life: Choose for the God who knows our sin, to hear our repentance and desire to try again.
- The wisdom to know when to scramble the eggs so that they are not cold
- When to you start the coals so they are ready so we are not waiting on the chicken to get down,
- Know where to spend the nest egg of savings, knowing when to invest in a volatile market.
- Knowing when to plant and when to harvest, when to water and when to fertilize
- The wisdom to confess and see that God would rather we learn from our mistakes than be spiritual or physical dead in our sins and failures.
Our Goal is having a wise and faithful heart working with God’s grace.
- Let the world see your transforming work in our lives.
- Let the world hear you in the words we speak, and
- the ideas we share, and
- the work we produce
- The Test? Ask someone Do you hear God in what im saying?
- Do you see God in my work?
- Do you know God is working through my thoughts?
- Do you sense God has given me another chance?
- Do you hear Jesus in my words
- Do you know the Spirit is guiding my decision?
If not, here is our prayer: Lord have mercy on me a sinner, renew me like the leaves on the tree, grass on the lawn, flowers in the ground, let me be connected to your grace anew, that the world might see, hear, and know your love through my love for you.