Archive for October 12th, 2019
1 I appeal to you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. [NRSA]
Recap of the Home Run Life
Connect, Character, Community, Competence
- The pattern God uses to grow us.
- Know you know what God is doing
- The world starts backward
How do you get on base to get the Home Run life?
- Get to God’s purpose with God’s power
- First God wants to change you, Character, personal base, win within
- Second base, Community, where you win with others
- Third Base, competence, performance, results, success in life, true success
Rom 12:1-2, offer yourself as living sacrifices, no longer conform to the pattern of this world
- God’s pattern is clockwise, God wise
- The World’s pattern is counter, backwards,
- We run toward performance
That is CHEATING
- and self
YOU GET THROWN OUT before we get to first.
“Too busy to be in bible, worship, sun, small group, prayer, etc..
Home plate to First base?
- a third of batters Strikeout
- The next third, get thrown out before getting first base
- The Earlier we get this the better we are off in life.
- Things to know
- IN the Vine, is the power to win within, When I drift from the vine, I drift into vice.
- There is a flow of power, that moves from the main vine, which powers the branch for the fruit
- You have a power not available anywhere else
- If you live disconnected from God’s power your only power is vice.
- You can have to power to connect how you can nowhere else
- STAY connected
- When we get a spiritual high, we get comfortable, we begin to believe its OUR power
- We return to the old self, It was always God’s Power
- IF I DRIFT from the VINE I return to the old VICES.
- Lamp. I am the socket, you are the cord, and you will light the world through me.
- (NEED A LAMP AND POWER CORD)
- Things to do
Three major swings
- Live for the Truth
- IF someone says, there is no absolute truth, its all contextual. That statement is an absolute assumption and thus a contradiction
- Consequences of not seeking the Truth
- Father in heaven longs for us to know GOD’s Truth
- STORY: Father/Son Home Run dad, finally lesson to learn about outs, rules, when the father reminds rules, warns and then tags out between 2 and 3rd, son keeps running home and slides… “home Run Dad. No, you’re out. No, it’s my ball, my bat, may bases, and I say it’s a homer.” (not the truth)
- If we continue living by our rules and the world’s rules then were already out before we go to bat.
- PLUG INTO THE VINE
- We can make things too complicated
- Agricultural example We see grapes they are connected to a vine through the branch.
- Electrical Example. PLUG in, Light up, you have light for your life
- if you disconnect you are in the dark.
1st Base is connecting to God through Character-building activities
<example of being stuck in the car shut down… Drive-thru at McDonald’s, WHAT IF SOMETHING IS DISCONNECTED>
Look at all the places that frustrate and
it couldn’t be as simple as being plugged into God or unplugged from God
CHAPTER 5 in the book, (if you don’t have it get it, if you have it read it and share it.)
What does it mean for you to be in GOD’s WORD
- Work at it
- and reset your expectation
How do you get into God’s word
- Have a time in God’s work or in prayer
- if you don’t break through you are not connected
SO GO get to work, wrestle it down
- REMAIN IN the VINE
- STAY CONNECTED
God wants to take us, that only God can take us.
We need to reconnect.
God wants to go to FIRST BASE CHARACTER
- DRAW THE LINK
When you are living for truth and stay connected to the vine
God will reveal where sin is.. God will draw a line, to free you up to get on base.
This is how much God loves you
Acknowledge the lines and trust God, stay connected, yield
Romans 6 WHAT GOD HAS DONE FOR US
6 We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the sinful body might be destroyed, and we might no longer be enslaved to sin. 7 For he who has died is freed from sin. 8 But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him. 9 For we know that Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. 10 The death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. 11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal bodies, to make you obey their passions. 13 Do not yield your members to sin as instruments of wickedness, but yield yourselves to God as men who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments of righteousness. 14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. 15 What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16 Do you not know that if you yield yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. [NRSA]
We are dead to sin and alive to Christ
Vs. 6 Old self is dead to sin, so we are no longer dead to sin, since Jesus has conquered to live in Christ Jesus
Do not let sin reign
vs 14 sin will no longer be your sin
vs 17 Thanks be to God you used to be slaves you now have allegiance to God, slaves to righteousness
Easy sins may go quickly but there are likely one or two, in your neighbor.. .haha
FEAR – Fear of rejection, failure, disappointment, approval, financial fear
LUST – want for food, material things, physical desires, success wealth,
WORRY – what I have given up before even trying for the power of worry.
a longing to indulge without moderation
Romans 6 is true
\a consistent connection is essential to get to first base, to not be lost to sin, to be out, to be disconnected
GOD conquers sin, but we have to remain in the vine, connected.
None of us is perfect, RIGHT?
we can all be tempted
I can make errors
PRO’s still make errors, look at the bloopers TAPE
Frustrating, WE DROP the ball spiritually
We don’t have to be owned by sin
FEAR, LUST, WORRY are mine,
What are you three?
What is the one that Keeps getting you thrown out?
A Sacred moment,
surrender to break the cycle of sin in your life
Card: NO NAMES, No copying? No peeking?
What is the thing that is costing you from getting close to God?
Give it as a sin offering
- Pray over, break the cycle of sin…