First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God; there is also one mediator between God and humankind, Christ Jesus, himself human, who gave himself a ransom for all–this was attested at the right time.For this I was appointed a herald and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth. [NRSA]
The Right Time for Christ
We live in an era where the perceived acceptable times:
- to speak of Christ or
- to give witness of Christ or
- to worship is limited to a handful of moments, locations and circumstances.
1. This is evidence and witness that there are those in the world works against us
2. This witness that we have listen to the powers and voices of our society and affirmed that our voice is second to others
3. This example shows that when pressed we as a whole are more comfortable clamming up, acquiescing the message of Christ.
Q: So a question is: When is the Right Time for Christ?
From the text, in history, God chose a specific season in human history to reveal covenants, commandments, and challenges.
In the specific time in history, God chose to be revealed not in words and idea, not in law and rules, but as person inviting relationship.
Paul’s words to the youthful pastor and church leader-in-training to see that God continues to have specific moments for showing the world,
1. what the world needs to know and experience and
2. what the faithful followers need to know and experience.
We are clear that God calls us to know and experience God’s power, teaching, presence, and guidance in dependable ways:
- Private groups – study groups, fellowship groups, gathering to learn and share
- through actions of service
We come to recognize that there are some places that it seems less appropriate to live peaceably with our non-believing, non-agreeing neighbors:
- Not work or school
- Not social media or
- Not with strangers in a public place
This is the grey zone that gets us in trouble.
There ARE times that we are called to be prophets and to call out the king/leader
There ARE times we take the political platforms to make clear God’s word.
There are times we interrupt social comforts and cross boundaries so that those who do not know and trust God know God’s word, will and expectations for all humanity.
The majority in the church, and even in our church, is quick to let
someone else be a prophet
Someone else speaks the uncomfortable,
Someone else feeds, clothe, comfort, correct
There are times that we called to speak clearly what the world, the congregation, and the whole church needs to hear.
In order to do this we have to follow and trust the example Paul gives to Timothy carefully:
This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
In all times, God desires for EVERYONE to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- When the world twists the truth.
- When people trust the power of wealth
- When people are blind the plans of those who call for kindness, goodness, and peace, but don’t have the goal of what is right and acceptable in God’s sight as the agenda.
Bottom line: if someone is NOT promoting what is right and good in God’s sight, they are promoting something or someone other than God. This is one of the lines in the sand that become a defining moment.
If someone speaks of unity and community but it is not a gathering in the heart of God and is empty of God… this is not something we can stand back and accept.
If someone is speaking of fairness without justice
If someone is offering that the only authority is Government and not see that authority as entrusted by God, then we are misplacing our trust.
If someone is calling a lie, the truth because the majority of people agree, does not make something true.
Every generation struggles with authority, wealth, leaders, nations and wars, greed, poverty and worse..
BUT we now living in a world that is more populated, more divided, more selfish, more controlled by evil and apathy than any other time.
Some will say, it’s not that bad or
Others will say, it’s not worse
Others will say, I’m will bury my talents and head in the sand.
Others will speak up for the truth of God.
- AM I compromising God’s call upon my life?
- AM I watering down God’s authority in exchange for what I am comfortable managing or accepting?
- AM I ready to devote my talents, times, skills, dreams, family, resources on the heart of God over the values and powers of the world?
If we are not ready to consider these questions then we have already answered them!!
Christ was revealed at a certain time.
- We are living in a time that the church is being outnumbered by others faith,
- made irrelevant by those without faith,
- and our authority challenged by our inaction
As we prepare to be the church in the new decade and for the next 200+ years, what are we doing today, individually and collectively to make ready the GOD’s visions, God’s plan, God’s goodness, God’s will is revealed in THIS time?
The right time for shaping the future is THIS morning, this year, this moment.
Here is our call to accountability that we share with Timothy in his time.
The church was being born and shape for us now by the faith of Timothy and his congregation then.
Q: How are we seeking to make clear the heart of God in what we are doing this morning — stop fear, complaints, blame…
Q: How are we making bold the vision of God for our church
How are we bring the goodness of God’s authority within the grasp of those who are hungry, thirsting, wandering and running 180 degrees away from God?
It is an interesting statement Paul gives to Tim and the churches then, “I’m not lying.”
Usually when some will say, “now pastor, preach I’m going to tell you the truth.” Does that mean they usually don’t tell the truth but this time I’m going to speak truthfully
Is there a right time to be quiet and allow the society and the leaders lead so that we may live peacefully with those who oppose us, but there are right times that we boldly speak the truth of Christ.
This time for us to begin to more clear and intentional about speaking the truth in the world that will sell a lie, greed, fear IN the name of GOODNESS but without the heart of God’s.
The “I’m not lying” is an affirmation of the timeliness to be
- and Devoted to God who loves, saves and empowers us to lover
- our family, AND
- our neighbors, AND
- our enemy, AND
- the stranger
- SO THAT everyone, EVERYONE may find the heart of God!!