Archive for August, 2019
The vision of Isaiah son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah….Hear the word of the Lord, you rulers of Sodom! Listen to the teaching of our God, you people of Gomorrah! What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices? says the Lord; I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fed beasts; I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of goats. When you come to appear before me, who asked this from your hand? Trample my courts no more; bringing offerings is futile; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and sabbath and calling of convocation— I cannot endure solemn assemblies with iniquity. Your new moons and your appointed festivals my soul hates; they have become a burden to me, I am weary of bearing them. When you stretch out your hands, I will hide my eyes from you; even though you make many prayers, I will not listen; your hands are full of blood. Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your doings from before my eyes; cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan, plead for the widow. Come now, let us argue it out, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be like snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land; but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be devoured by the sword; for the mouth of the Lord has spoken. [NRSV]
A Vision of Isaiah
Concerning Period 3 Kings and 1 regent
The period of time is between 790 to 690 BC. Isaiah lead as a prophet through the end of Uzziah into the reign of Hezekiah.
During this period, God’s people of Judah fought with God’s people of Israel and made expedient allies of Syria and Egypt as they needed help. The people shifted for faithfulness to completely selling out to Idolatry with the Canaanites, with King Ahaz made a replica of the idea of Baal in the temple of Judah and made offering go his son’s life to the altar of Molech. Hezekiah finally brings faithfulness back after heading Isaiah’s warning and even invited the Northern Kingdom to celebrate Passover together.
An Argument with God.
First, it’s acceptable to argue with God if you know in the end that God is God and that you and I are not. With that said God is supremely patience, but will, in the end, call us to faithfulness and obedience.
Isaiah’s Account of God side setting up for the argument:
- rulers of Sodom!
- you people of Gomorrah!
- So you talk about the many sacrifices?
- Do You think that your offerings buy my favor?
- Your many holiday and celebrations? I don’t want your songs and gifts.
- Why would I want to be at your good holiday, and you ignore your sin?
- You think you have figured out creation, and use the heavens as a tool to measure and control me?
- You can raise your hands and prayers and songs, I’m not listening.
- If this is how you make religion replace a relationship of trust and obedience, then I don’t want you in my sight.
- Wash yourselves;
- make yourselves clean;
- remove the evil of your doings from before my eyes;
- cease to do evil,
- learn to do good;
- seek justice,
- rescue the trampled, taken advantage of, or forgotten.
When you have done these things, then let’s argue.
The Good News is that when we find ourselves through obedience to God, we find the Goodness in life.
- It is easy to dismiss this passage as history and not hear it applying to ourselves.
- First, as this is presented as God’s Message for the political and spiritual leaders of the day.
- So it is easy to point fingers and blame the king.
- This word does not excuse the king of doing what is Godly.
- Nor does this word excuse US for doing what is Godly and obedient, we can’t blame our leaders for all the sin.
You pick the topic of news, debate, crisis, and threat of this past week alone, and know-how quickly people look for blame. Isaiah’s word is for Judah and Israel. It is for you and for me.
- Stop Blaming
- Stop making excuses
- Stop looking for our own ideas and solutions
- Turn back to God
- Trust God’s Goodness and Word
- Trust God’s will and wisdom
- Trust God’s way and place ourselves as a servant of God and God’s people and will then God will make us the witness to all the nations.
We live more in time like Ahaz rather than Hezekiah. When the world is rejecting God and replacing anything and everything in God’s place, it is no wonder that evil and chaos.
So what are we to do about our nation and our leaders?
We are not only called to
- Repent of our sins,
- Stop acting like knuckleheads
- Start witnesses to those who are
- and be a strength to those who are trampled and taken advantage of.
But not in reverse:
We’d rather just do one or two on the list… but its a process
- It’s not about just serving the oppressed
- It is also dealing with sin, ours and theirs
- It’s not just about talking about forgiveness and change
- it is becoming an actual example of obedience.
So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory. Put to death, therefore, whatever in you is earthly: fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry). On account of these, the wrath of God is coming on those who are disobedient. These are the ways you also once followed when you were living that life. But now you must get rid of all such things—anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive language from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have stripped off the old self with its practices and have clothed yourselves with the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator. In that renewal, there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all! [NRSA]
You have been raised with Christ,
- Seek the things that are above.
- Set your minds on things that are above,
When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory.
Put to death what in you is earthly:
- lustful passion,
- evil desire, and
WARNING: wrath of God is coming on those who are disobedient.
These are the ways you also once followed when you were living that life.
BUT HOW? WHERE TO START?
But now you must:
- get rid of all such things—
- slander, and
- abusive language from your mouth.
- Do not lie to one another,
- Stripped off the old self with its practices,
- clothed yourselves with the new self,
- being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator.
In that renewal, there is no longer divided as the World divides, rather be UNITED IN CHRIST.
WHAT DOES UNITED IN CHRIST MEAN?
- Personal Behaviors and Attitudes
- the opposite of the world’s view of promiscuity – Fidelity, and Trust
- the opposite of me first, or myself above God – Faith and Worship
- the opposite of seeing people as objects for our happiness and power, all created by and for God
- the opposite of evil – God’s Love and Law
- the opposite of greed and idolatry Peace, Joy, Wholeness in God
Things to Deal with, throw away or get away from:
anger. No matter what people do we can’t HATE any away. wrath, Using our influence and resources for selfishness. malice, Intentional Harm (The Qualification of Do no INTENTIONAL harm) slander, Not repaying evil words and thoughts for evil words and thoughts. (Deal with Racism by yielding power not correctness) abusive languagefrom your mouth.
not lieto one another, Some times the truth is unfair, unpopular and even unclear, but lying to make some feel better or ourselves escape or protected cuts at the bonds of fidelity, trust, love, grace, etc.
We have one life to figure our future
- You and I have this life to determine if we will starve in the wilderness or eat God’s manna and trust God to make a way when our ways are dead ends.
- You and I have the breath of this one life, no matter where we have come from, to decide if God’s home is where we want to live.
- You and I have the free will and choice to choose God’s or to choose to rely on ourselves or others to make a way we believe is better. The consequences of choosing the other ways, than God’s way, all end with us being alone and apart from God.
- The Word to the Colossians and to us: We continually make the choice with our thoughts and actions to Trust God or ourselves.
While choosing God’s way, God’s heart, God’s love is simple to start. We have a daily choice of staying in that Grace of choosing another path. God never forces us to choose him not to stay with him.
Go back to the list:
Am I happy, content and whole:
- Because I have money and things enough for eternity? Sincere there is not eternity in my view, I want it all now.
- I’m just doing the best I can and I’m hoping for God to cut me some slack when the final exam comes, or will I recognize the need to call his name when trouble comes?
- I’d rather people all cooperate and get along and stay together even if I have to re-frame what God expects of us.
Why Make it So Hard
We make it hard on ourselves and one another. Jesus offers himself to us daily, the bread of life and the cup of salvation. Eat and Drink from the life that is eternal. Forget the slavery that goes with the fleshpots in back in captivity of some other allegiance.
Prayer: Jesus come into my heart and life right now and make me whole, make me yours, take my whole self- broken, confused and alone, fill me with our love and grace. Set my feet and my heart on you and the things of your kingdom. Have mercy on me, a waster of life and gifts and treasures and make me your own again today. Keep me in your will and change my heart, mind, and soul. Make my life a witness that leads someone else to your heart. Thank you! Praise you. Amen and Amen.