Archive for October 6th, 2018
Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And before him no creature is hidden, but all are naked and laid bare to the eyes of the one to whom we must render an account. Since, then, we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. [NRSV]
A large part of what is dividing our church is summed up in this passage from Hebrews.
- The Word of God is living and active. (Not an idol that is worshiped.)
- The Word of God is not always comforting.
- The Word of God divides the soul from the spirit, joints from the marrow.
- The Word judges thoughts of our minds and intentions of our hearts.
- We have more than a written word, Jesus Christ, our high priest,
- exposes all that is good and all that is evil,
- all that is fired up and that which lukewarm and that this is cold and empty.
Our response to place our whole self in Jesus’s program, team and alumni program.
Approach the Throne of Grace with BOLDNESS So that we by RECEIVE Mercy and find God and Grace in our time of need.
- When do we Need God’s grace?
- When we have sinned and fallen short
- When we have faithfully followed, praise and serve.
- When we forget that we are naked before God.
- How does a team take the field in college football?
- Assuming they will lose or
- Confident they will win?
- Somewhere in between?
Go onto the field of your daily life with BOLDNESS seeking MERCY and GRACE
Run passionately toward the goal in Christ,
- Scripture is alive, meaningful and powerful
- Jesus Christ is our High Priest, our Worship Leader, our present Guide
- Live BOLDLY trusting you are naked without being clothed in Christ.
- knowing you will be renewed, refreshed and whole in Christ with Mercy and Grace.
Simply Sermon: Taking God seriously only when we