So then, brothers and sisters, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh— for if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, “Abba! Father!” it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ—if, in fact, we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him.
I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.
We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labor pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. [NRSV]
We are Spiritual
- Children of God
- Living to fulfill/follow the Spirit
- Preparing to inherit God’s kingdom
We Suffer Spiritually
- Comparing Physical and Spiritual
- I’m only human, I’m just a man/woman/child is not our spiritual excuse
- We live in hope of being set free from suffering
Groaning of Labor Pains
- The mixed blessing of suffering for the gift of life.
- Groaning inwardly in anticipation of adoption
- Trusting hand hoping in what is known but not seen
- Acknowledge the reality of suffering and Labor of faith
- Call for encouraging the children of God
- Hold one another and our self in patience.
- Know it is struggle to live in the Spirit
- Know we are not alone nor forgotten
- Trust God who loves, saves and call us is worth the work and waiting.