“A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a slave above the master; it is enough for the disciple to be like the teacher, and the slave like the master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household! “So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim from the housetops.
Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. And even the hairs of your head are all counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.
“Everyone therefore who acknowledges me before others, I also will acknowledge before my Father in heaven; but whoever denies me before others, I also will deny before my Father in heaven. “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one’s foes will be members of one’s own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. [NRSV]
We know too well many ways to ignore, reject, and avoid sharing our faith and allowing others into our faith journey. This passage warns us of the consequences of pushing others away. Don’t tell folks to talk to the hand, share the hand of Christ who loves, saves and calls us into life together.
Acknowledging Jesus is With Us
- Talking About who Jesus was, is and will be is the easiest and beginning point of our promise to Witness Jesus Christ.
- Learning the stories, details, and information about Jesus is the foundation, but it is only our starting point.
- More people stop at this place and find know many things about Jesus something of which to be proud and comfortable
- Example: you and I might know many stats and details about a person who plays a sport and many seasons of many players, but that never assumes that we are on the field ourselves. But knowing the rules, stats and stories are a place to begin to connect.
Acknowledging Jesus Saves Us
- Developing a Relationship with Jesus begins in a relationship with the people of Jesus’s body, church folks.
- We live in a an era where we have to earn the respect and opportunities to share the church’s message.
- No longer can we assume we have a voice in the community.
- No longer can we take a pass waiting for someone to ask us about Jesus
- No longer can we bemoan or complain about how easy the church once had a central role.
- Now is the time for the church to rekindle and reclaim that faith story of salvation, hope, and love we assume the world knows, trusts and believes.
Acknowledging Jesus is Shaping Us
- The Good News is acknowledging Jesus is not a regurgitating of historical information to a lost and hurting world.
- Acknowledging Jesus is giving the invitation to join in a spiritual journey where the answers unfold along the way.
- Acknowledging Jesus is seeking Jesus’s story is woven through our story.
- Acknowledging Jesus is finding our role is leading others to follow, as we follow Jesus.
- Acknowledging Jesus is placing our purpose in the heart of the one who died and lives for our present and our future.
I challenge you to acknowledge Jesus Today
- Find someone here today and practice: Tell how you become a follower of Jesus,
- Tell someone why you continue to grow as a following of Jesus
- Confess a struggling place you fail without Jesus’s saving help.
- Give someone the opportunity to give their brokenness, emptiness, questions, doubts, and fear to Jesus.
Together we find ourselves in sharing ourselves in Christ. This is the daily work:
- Lord, I am broken without you, Save me again today,
- lead me in your work even though I don’t deserve or even know how to start again,
- I recognize, affirm, acknowledge, proclaim and accept, you complete me. Make me yours
- Make us restore us in the ways you have worked, hoped and created us to become.
- Go Repeat, share and lead others