Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, even if now for a little while you have had to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith—being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Although you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. [NRSV]
- Kept in heaven,
- protected by the power of God
- an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading
SUFFERING and SUFFERING for our faith
- You will know trials for a little time, but God’s salvation forever.
- This is one of the most difficult to accept parts: God doesn’t make it any easier on us than the next person.
- God doesn’t make it any easier on us than the next person.
- Living as a person of faith means:
- Knowing you are ultimately love and valuable to God who gives us breath, lives, love and hope.
- Choosing God’s ways AS our ways
- Choosing God’s way as our ways when the world says, begs, models challenges us otherwise.
FAITH TESTED BY FIRE
- Faith is more precious than gold
- Love without Seeing
- Genuiness of faith rather than Successfulness of FAITH
- Faith is expressed in Praise, Glory, and Honor
ASSURANCE of REWARD
- Rather than cut each other down, be challenged to live one another up.
- Rather than focus on the loss in the moment, look to the hope in eternity
- Rather than be devastated in the current disappointments, know Jesus is readily available to restore and renew us living as a commitment.
Athletes: commit to
Scouts: Getting it done and completing the task
Work: Doing what no one wants to do builds character and strengthen the team bond