Archive for October 1st, 2016
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, for the sake of the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus, To Timothy, my beloved child: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. I am grateful to God—whom I worship with a clear conscience, as my ancestors did—when I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline. Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God, who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. For this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher, and for this reason I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know the one in whom I have put my trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what I have entrusted to him. Hold to the standard of sound teaching that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Guard the good treasure entrusted to you, with the help of the Holy Spirit living in us. [NRSV]
- God able, god is on duty, Holy Spirit is living and working
- The treasure is entrusted to you
- God Guards us, We guard the Good News
Ashamed of the testimony
- Remember the Treasure: Jesus appeared lived and died, Reborn resurrected to give light thru the gospel.
- Don’t be ashamed of sharing the Good News
- Paul knew Timothy would hesitate at times, and Paul knew we, the church, would as well.
- Power and love, both hand in hand, not one without the other
- Power: Boldness,
- Love: Tenderness,
- Together each temper and strengthens the other
Laying on Of hands
Connection by Physically and Spiritual Connecting via “laying on of hands”
- Play your hand on someone’s shoulder or head or take them by the hand
- In the strength of prayer and the compassion of love, tell them
- God loves you. Christ gave himself for YOU, God lives in your, Receive the power and love fo the Holy Spirit. Know these treasures and live your life sharing them with one another.
Connection physically and spiritual communion with Christ in bread and cup.
- Come to the table and be made new in Jesus Christ, and filled with God’s Holy Spirit.