As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: “You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honor your father and mother.’ ” He said to him, “Teacher, I have kept all these since my youth.” Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, “You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions. Then Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it will be for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!” And the disciples were perplexed at these words. But Jesus said to them again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” They were greatly astounded and said to one another, “Then who can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said, “For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible.” Peter began to say to him, “Look, we have left everything and followed you.” Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields, for my sake and for the sake of the good news, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this age—houses, brothers and sisters, mothers and children, and fields, with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.” [NRSV]
WHAT IS GOODNESS?
- Be a good boy or a good girl?
- Act like a good young man or good lady?
- Work hard, follow the rules and do t get into trouble?
- Do good things and you will become a good person?
- Just avoid doing really bad things, get away with being good enough?
- All wrong.
AM I GOOD? GOOD ENOUGH?
- The short answer: no
- your no good, your no good baby your no good
- And no matter what you give up you cannot buy, make, earn or steal
- Goodness is a God given gift
THERE IS GOOD IN ALL OF US, Right?
I trust that is the image I which we are created
GOODNESS IS NOT SELF INTERESTED
GOODNESS IS GOD INTERESTED, GOD FOCUSED, GOD DRIVEN
ITS TOO HARD TO BE GOOD
- WE ENJOY BEING BAD
- No one WANs to be the goody-two-shoes
- No Eddy Haskle faking it when the auority is looking
- I fact there are times WE ENJOY DEFINING WHAT IS GOOD
WHO ARE WE TO DECLARE SOE THING TO BE GOOD, IF IT IS INDEPENDENT OF GOD
JESUS IS DEFINING GOODNESS AS GOD-ness.
Good comes with the persecution
God is Good, so give God your self, your all.
Am I all in?
The reward of Goodness is realized in heaven
- The world will define its own goodness
- Good will not get you into heaven if it’s your own goodness
- So what’s the deal with being good?
- We think and behave is goodness because God is at work in us
- Keeping the Rules for the rules’ sake, correctness is not God’S Goodness
- Keeping the commandments because we trust God reflects Gods goodness guiding us
The time to be good:
- When our team looses. When our team wins
- When face life. When we face death
- When he world says it’s good to be bad, we ask Whatglories God
- When wealth, comfort, fortune, acceptance surrounds us AND when povert, discomfort, rejection, and unfortuent events weight us,
- When we have governments we like and those we dislike, goodness is still defined by God, not politics, agendas nor principles.
So is God my trust, my focus, my faith?
- There are fears of wars, financial crashes, changes of power and culture
- The Question: is it my Goodness that will save or Gods?
- Whomever can save us is the good that we are to follow.
- So don’t follow me. I’m not following you. We are called to trust Good as Gods
This is what the world need to know
Not their they are bad, we are all short of Good if God is not at the heart
Are you telling the world that simple blessing
“God is greatest, God is Good” everything and everyone else will fail you.
Invite Gods goodness to make you Gods own Goodness