When they were approaching Jerusalem, at Bethphage and Bethany, near the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples
and said to them, “Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately as you enter it, you will find tied there a colt that has never been ridden; untie it and bring it.
If anyone says to you, “Why are you doing this?’ just say this, “The Lord needs it and will send it back here immediately.’ ”
They went away and found a colt tied near a door, outside in the street. As they were untying it,
some of the bystanders said to them, “What are you doing, untying the colt?”
They told them what Jesus had said; and they allowed them to take it.
Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks on it; and he sat on it.
Many people spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy branches that they had cut in the fields.
Then those who went ahead and those who followed were shouting, “Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!
Blessed is the coming kingdom of our ancestor David! Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
Then he entered Jerusalem and went into the temple; and when he had looked around at everything, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the twelve. [NRSV]
Prepping for Sunday
- The text is about getting ready by getting things in order
- Intensional choice about the message
- Get ready to work.
A Call to gather work tools instead of party supplies
- 1. The intention on marketing plan.
- Jesus wants to make a statement
- He calls on disciple to act in faith
- He entrusts the mission to disciples
Walking into Town with Good News to tell.
1. Crossing culture and politics to tell the truth
2. Trust the instructions of Jesus to be ready for the work that will unfold.
3. Requirement to take the word into the streets first hand.
Dressed for work, let’s get to it.
CRAFT: cross of Palm branches.
Make one to share.
In the traditional page try of Palm Sunday with the children running about with branches Jesus is starting a new line of work and preparing to leave the business to his brother and sisters.