1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God; 3 all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came for testimony, to bear witness to the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness to the light. 9 The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world. –NRSV
Who has the last word in your house? This is such a loaded question:
• If it’s Dad, does Mom feel like her word is validated and heard?
• If it’s Mom, does Dad feel walked over and
• If it’s the children, then how healthy can that be for the kids or the adults?
• If it’s no one or every one, then there is clearly chaos.
I have an easy and simple answer: God has the last word, and the first.
If the John that wrote the fourth Gospel book in the New Testament, wrote 50-100 words about what it means to have “God first in our lives” it would be in these first nine verses.
Reminder: We are asking everyone, to write this statement of faith, “What does it mean to you to put God first in your life.”
God has the first word, that creates and brings order and is the very core expression of God’s love.
Speaking first, God loves into existence all things, and in Jesus Christ, God has the last word,
• Light dissolves darkness,
• Light that can be over powered by darkness and evil.
• Light that points the way to what is true and good for everyone.
The big So What: God’s love speaks and ‘life’ comes into being. And “the Life was the light of all people.”
We have nations at war, political parties divided, religions at war, economies tipping the balances each and all together moving our world, “all people” back into chaos.
We can’t stop the wars, We can’t heal the politics, we can’t fix the economy… no one of us can.
But there is one who can show us the light.
But there is one who we can believe in when all else caves in.
But there is one who is more powerful than all the evils of the world.
Jesus: Yep, that the answers, but do we know what that actually means?
Give verse 7 your attention:
• He came for a testimony,
• to witness to the light,
• that all might believe through him.
• Believing God has the first and last word in our ordinary decisions and choices
• Believing God has the first and last word in our celebrations and scary darkest struggles
• Believing God is the reason for our being and Our claiming that our being is for God and not self or others.
It is then we are understand and get-it, and are ‘enlightened’ by Christ…. Until then we wonder in the darkness, shouting the right answers looking for the light switch… that’s no way to live is it? Let God’s light and word, give life and direction… that is what it means to live for God.