Archive for January 22nd, 2012
Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.” As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea–for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, “Follow me and I will make you fish for people.” And immediately they left their nets and followed him. As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him. -NRSV
- The invitation starts with asking for trust.. not qualification.
- The invitation is not based on our skills, but includes our gifts.
- The invitation does not effect just one person, it affects the household.
Jesus calls us to follow and to catch people.
Casting a net. Story: Wanting to net-fish, but not allowed because the water is neither plentiful nor clean and the supply of fish no longer abundant.
It is nostalgic to wish for easier times or more familiar days, but it is essential that we as a congregation return to our first call to be the people of are Inviters.
Fishing with a net is throwing wide the reach of our individual message to bring people in. How many empty seats are in your car on Sunday morning?
Jesus calls ‘fishermen’ to catch people…
- Start with what you already know and build upon our skills.
- If you cook, then feed,
- If you make money, invest
- If you teach, give instruction
- If you are young, then as fresh questions and infuse energy
- If you are retired, what are you waiting to start doing God’s work.
- If you read and write, then share your story
- Get the idea?
- Follow instead of Leading.
- Do you know someone who complains, blames, and kills the joy?
- We have too much good to accomplish to be shooting others down.
i. Especially church folks eating Church folks for lunch..
- Jesus later calls Disciples who follow to step our as Leaders, but
i. Only AFTER first mastering the art of servanthood.
- Let Go and Get out of the Boat, Use the nets we know for new work.
- The role of the boat was a big one for the sons of Zebedee.
i. This is like the Rich Young Ruler actually selling everything.
- For US, it is identifying what keeps us from letting go to FOLLOW
- DISCIPLESHIP: Learning to follow..
- Going where we are needed to help real people who Need God.
- The Great commission of feeding, clothing, caring for those in need
- Is the response to FIRST, following..
- THIS IS THE FIRST FAITH LESSON for us to encourage one another.
- Here is an faith request:
- Write one this week:
i. What does it mean to you personally to “Put God First”
ii. How has life in the church transformed/blessed your life.
iii. What is the most recent way Christ has been working in you.
We may not talk during worship, but we are going to start by writing it out…