22 Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24 but by this time the boat, battered by the waves, was far from the land, for the wind was against them. 25 And early in the morning he came walking toward them on the sea. 26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.” 28 Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” -NRSVDisciples Have Everything Working Against Their Success:
- Evening, Sun Downers, confusion
- Alone, Children alone, Seniors alone, homeless alone, single parents,
- Battered, number of spouses battered, battery statistics in general
- Far away, Soldiers, students, travelers,
- Against the wind…, when invisible forces keep you from holding ground, where you can’t even stand still in trouble..
- Terrified, afraid, and frightened, Primal reactions to danger, fear, loss, grief and emptiness
- Sinking, .. a drowning, falling, loss of control and ultimately a loss of life.
Lord Save me!
- Obvious petition, request, and plea, why not ask sooner, (CERF),
- I’m tired of saving myself… tired of making deals.. getting buy, tired of self fooling / self lying
- Immediately, Jesus meets us.
- Here we at his Table, he has stepped next to us, and prepared for us a place of peace, rescue, relief and rest.
- (Come to me all who labor and are heavy ladin and he will give you rest.)
Our Response is praise and worship.
- Come, out of your boat and walk in faith to reach Christ’s hand, and become his body and presence.