Archive for August 1st, 2010
Theme: Disciples billionaires in things of God no matter the numbers on their profit/loss sheet.
13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me.” 14 But he said to him, “Friend, who set me to be a judge or arbitrator over you?” 15 And he said to them, “Take care! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of possessions.” 16 Then he told them a parable: “The land of a rich man produced abundantly. 17 And he thought to himself, ‘What should I do, for I have no place to store my crops?’ 18 Then he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ 20 But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life is being demanded of you. And the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ 21 So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are not rich toward God.”
- Property ownership passed at the owner’s death to those so designated to receive or succeed, Legacy.
- The reception of genetic qualities by transmition from parent to offspring, Identity.
- A gift given for which we have not worked at the pleasure of the gift giver, Blessing.
- Obsolete, right of possession or ownership, Birthright.
Legacy, Identity, Blessing, Birthright.
- What legacy are we leaving for God?
- What has God given us that forms our self image? Greed? Jealousy? Pride? No these are not God’s
- What has God bestowed that is a blessing? Easy list, family, talents, creation, etc.
- What is the birthright of being born of the Spirit? Being rich, rich, rich in Grace, Hope, Peace, Love..
Some folks assume they will receive their parents assets…
I just hoped my father would end up with more assets than debts
My Mgrandmother started giving things away for years before she died
My Pgrandfather, deeded half the house to the children so if my grandmother remarried the step father would not get what my grandfather had hoped for his children… good for 7th grader.
My father gave me his father’s watch.. a gold watch.. it doesn’t work for more than 15 minutes.. The treasure is the lesson that some folks are not honest, don’t be dishonest.
Some good families are split over the division of property.
.. all I wanted was the cedar chest that my father made for grandmother.
What are you worth?
What are you without your barn, without your attic, without your garage, without your accounts,
What is my worth to God? Hear the Good News…
You are worth God’s only son’s life.
You are worth entrusting with the work of God’s kingdom
You are worth God’s love, trust, and power.
Who will have what is ours..
Are we waiting for our death to give our ‘faith-inheritance?’
The soul is foolish to make material preparations. at the sake of spiritual ones.
.. nothing at all wrong with arranging one ‘s funeral,
.. most folks avoid it thinking that if they talk about death, it will speed our death.
..the priority is not what we are doing to prepare for our death, what are we doing with the days we have?
SO WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH GOD’s TREASURES.