1 He left that place and came to his hometown, and his disciples followed him. 2 On the Sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astounded. They said, “Where did this man get all this? What is this wisdom that has been given to him? What deeds of power are being done by his hands! 3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary F42 and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him. 4 Then Jesus said to them, “Prophets are not without honor, except in their hometown, and among their own kin, and in their own house.” 5 And he could do no deed of power there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and cured them. 6 And he was amazed at their unbelief.
Then he went about among the villages teaching.
7 He called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. 8 He ordered them to take nothing for their journey except a staff; no bread, no bag, no money in their belts; 9 but to wear sandals and not to put on two tunics. 10 He said to them, “Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave the place. 11 If any place will not welcome you and they refuse to hear you, as you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.” 12 So they went out and proclaimed that all should repent. 13 They cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them.
What do you take on a trip.
• If it is a beach vacation, you had better take sunscreen, swim suit, towel, sun glasses, cooler, Chaco’s, Teva’s, or Crocs…
• If it is a business trip, you had better have your brief case, important papers and reports, business cards, and cell phone charger.
• If it is an educational trip, you had better take you notebook, field guide, camera, activity schedule and bright colored group t-shirt
• If it is a high adventure trip, you need your safari hat, back pack, first aid kit, water, ropes and harness
• If it is a trip to the grocery store, you need your coupons, shopping list, check book, rewards card and recyclable shopping bag
What kind of trip is it, if you don’t take anything you think you might want or need… except a large walking stick, sandals and the one plain outfit you have on your body now.
While wondering in the wilderness, in search of the Promised Land, the Hebrews followed Moses for forty years without a good look at his map.
Why did it take so long to get there?
Too many people? Not certain where to go?
Manna & Quail : Enough for the Day, God provides
God Provides for God’s Work
is not only at home… journey beyond borders
is shared… take a co-work, friends, 2×2
is not always spelled out before we leave.
is not always in hospitable territory
is to heal, restore, set free.. we tell it, share it
is OUR work… we are a people, SENT
HEAR THE GOOD NEWS.
God calls you to go Heal, Set Free,
Reveal the day of the Lord…. Home town.